Seeking Equipage Advice for multi-use MDing

G

Greenfire

Seeking Equipage Advice for multi-use MD'ing

Good Evening,

Making this post in the hope that someone can offer some advice on what type of metal detector to purchase; and the reason that I am asking for advice/help is because of the area I will be searching...

Here's the deal.? My wife and I own a 49 acre farm that has 1) an old one-room school house site, 2) a rail-road bed running through it (abandoned - tracks removed in about 1898), 3) an old barn site, 4) "supposedly" there was a small civil war encampment here, and finally, 5) two other old sites that had falling down small buildings on them when we moved here.? I am a 100% disabled vet and therefore have many days that I am not up to doing normal farm chores, but refuse to sit in the house all day - thought MDing might be a distraction from the constant pain.

Any suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Re: Seeking Equipage Advice for multi-use MD'ing

Greenfire, MD'ing the way most folks do it is physical if not very physical.? I often find my upper legs and lower back sore the day after MD'ing a couple hours.? Not sure how MD'ing compares to farm chores but there is much bending over and up and down in this sport.? Sounds like you'll need a light weight detector at a minimum.? Maybe a MD'ing buddy also.? Not sure of your limitations (if any).? I have a MD'ing buddy who lost an arm in an accident and he has no problems keeping up, in fact, more often than not, he sets the pace.

Sounds like you have an unbelievable place to detect! Yes, places like that should get your mind off of the pain. The only advice that I can give (I'm not that experienced) is secure a machine that uses discrimination modes....bet you'll find a lot of iron (nails) and eventually you might want to start rejecting some of those targets.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd go with a TOP of the Line Unit. If weight isn't a problem I'd pick the Explorer II, If weight is, I'd say Whites or Troy , JUST MY OPINION ON WHAT I'd do in your Situation. ; jeff

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri

I use a whites Spectrum, and a Bounty Hunter Big Bud. I'd say any mid range priced detector would do fine, especially since you have time to search. Good Luck.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

I really like my Whites DFX. It's light & versital. Sounds like you have a dream place to hunt. I am a disabeled vet myself & have major back, neck & arm problems, but we get used to pain & numbness. There is a lot of it after a few hours of hunting, but it is an excellent stress relief. Where are you? Maybe I we could get toghther sometime if you like. I Am just starting to travel a bit more & I take my DFX everywhere.Spotz
[email protected]

C

czman

Well here is my two cents worth...I use a fisher cz5 and love it..a cz5 or the new cz-3d are powerful tools and can cover about all areas...Happy Hunting and by the way I am a Vietnam vet too...Don

OP
OP
G

Greenfire

WOW - Thank you all for your advice and suggestions!? I do sincerely appreciate your help.? I will be sure to post what I happen to find here on the farm once I get going with a M/D.? Thanks again for your kind words and support. :)

R/
Tim Greenfire

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

i agree with 1320. THANK YOU!!! as for detector- minelab explorer pro 2. you could probably use the handy dandy iron mask function. good luck. hey if you want us to start a petition to uncle sam about getting you one i will start it, sign it, get a bunch of others to do the same and then i will send it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread