Seen Anything Like This Before?

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
A friend of mine brought this piece by last night, It's grooved and highly polished like some boatstones I've seen. If you turn it to profile view it looks somewhat close to some birdstones I've seen. The material is hematite like, but may not be. It's a unique piece and finely made, has anyone seen one like this? Got any ideas what it could have been used for?

Attachments

• php2CDfSrPM.jpg
    php2CDfSrPM.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 789
  • phpqrIijfPM.jpg
    phpqrIijfPM.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 775
  • phpSmYcUPPM.jpg
    phpSmYcUPPM.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 792
  • php0KicUQPM.jpg
    php0KicUQPM.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 779
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
creek astronaut said:
interesting piece 37?was it found in water?being in water and being tumbled could have given it that pecked and polished look,and gave it an odd shape.cool piece regardless.

I'm pretty sure it was found in the dirt awhile back when some foundation work was being done. I think that's what he told me? Anyway these pics suck, too dark, I'll try and get a picture of it in the sun so you can get a better look at it and see the worked areas better.

Joshua, thanks for the recommendation, I'll check that out.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
uniface said:
I don't know.

But if somebody tries to tell you it's a "geofact," I'm going to laugh out loud. :laughing7:

It is a geofact. That is probably what is called Mudstone, I forget what the geological term for it is. It is a type of solidified clay. Find them all the time and they all look like "paint pots" and "boat stones".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions