self classify sluice template. what gauge would use of aluminum

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Every time I read that report I find more things that just don't play out in the field. Basically by the end your classifying to 8 mesh and using a trowel in the hopes of perfect recovery.

You can for sure feed unclassified with a shovel into a standard box with decent flow and not 'LOSE' the amount of gold inferred.

All the horror stories....stopping and restarting, losing as the h20 stops, clay robbing, scouring. In a regular in stream operation they are so minimal there is no reason to be concerned. Test your tailings....test them as you run ith a tub at the end ...feed a bucket let the water run clear for thirty seconds test your collection material. If there is any gold it is about negative three cents in value.

I get the reason that guys that dig only fine gold desire to catch more of it. A self classifying sluice is a good Idea. If I lived in an area like that I would make a hydrauilic concentrator that had a large screen for throughput 1/4 inch clasifacation and a long narrow sluice that had shallow recovery and a slick plate.

Power sluices are very tuneable. The report above makes it sound like your silly for using one. Again back to the tiny hand scoop!!!! Turbulance and fast h20 speed can increase the chance of loss...but if you can get your feed to stratify moderately and give some length to settle out you are going to have very resonable recovery rates.

There are adjustments to make based on material and h20 availability. Moving volume is still the most important aspect of production.As you read about undercurrents on large operations you discover that most operations abandoned them as they barely added up to 5% additional recovery on large operations. In situations that had runs of hundreds of tons ran and clean ups done maybe monthly. Sometimes bi- monthly.

To me classifacation is important if you have less than ample h20 and if you must clean cobbles. The reason sluices came into use is the fact that they cleaned material as it ran through the troughs and man hours that had been used for screening and moving tailings out of the dig/feed area could be put into digging more material. Only couple sluice tenders are needed to rake and clear cobble.

If it hadn't had such an impact on production it would not have taken over the way placering was done.

If more people watched Doc's video's less people would share this study!!!

sorry Goodyguy

Agreed. Too many prospectors spend too much time & money trying to save every last speck. My thought process is: I don't mind losing a speck or 5 because I will be gaining 10-20 specks during the same time I would have lost. Like you said, if one is in an area full of fines...things might be different. But generally speaking, my theory has worked well for me. You should see the faces of buddies who have gone out with me when I shovel directly into a stream sluice, quick pan material, or squirt excess water out of my snuffer lol. People have even panned my tailings! I'm OK with losing a little to gain more :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than one way to skin a cat.

Attachments

• 1462304836362.jpg
    1462304836362.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 1462304899116.jpg
    1462304899116.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 1462304923712.jpg
    1462304923712.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 91
  • 1462304945962.jpg
    1462304945962.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 1462304968022.jpg
    1462304968022.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 1462304988582.jpg
    1462304988582.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 86

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we had more minus 50 to catch we would....but when it's there we do

Attachments

• 1462305082228.jpg
    1462305082228.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 99

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be nice.

Sure wish we had gold like that in my part of the country.
This is the typical glacial gold found in my neck of the woods.

au.jpg hog2.jpg gold1.jpg
We have to work very hard to get every speck and need every advantage available.
That's why I love Bazookas and Gold Cubes

GG~

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. In that situation I would have the biggest classifier I could make....and 20 ft of sluice

OP
OP
restless spirit

restless spirit

Mar 6, 2016
pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1_c7448bd8f7b5a23a8a381dbb9276b3ea.jpg hey guys this was what I was shooting for my sluice build., it seems its pretty much a straight forward sluice that the drop in it would classify pretty good

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1307942 hey guys this was what I was shooting for my sluice build., it seems its pretty much a straight forward sluice that the drop in it would classify pretty good

One way to find out is build it and see.
Building your own provides great satisfaction.

As Goldwasher noted above there is more than one way to skin a cat................

GG~

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you get the right flow and they work awesome also take a look at the cal sluice 2b almost the same concept!

OP
OP
restless spirit

restless spirit

Mar 6, 2016
pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you get the right flow and they work awesome also take a look at the cal sluice 2b almost the same concept!
I cant find it ! hahahah is it a websight?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes the calsluice 2b just type I in it should bring it up

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Built an underflow handsluice once several years ago and ended up re-purposing the aluminum for another project after falling in love with fluidbeds.

Nothing wrong with the underflow, I just got the urge to go another route and after using fluidbeds just never had the desire for another underflow except for use on my dredges........
dow2.jpg
Even so, I still can't resist adding a fluidbed trap to the end of my underflow dredge sluices in order to catch any gold that may try to get away.

Go for the Gold
GG~

*did it.... This made my five thousandth post to earn Gold member status and a Gold bar!
Just cant help going for the gold any way I can even though it took me nine years :tongue3:
Gonna celebrate by running the cons from my last outing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
restless spirit

restless spirit

Mar 6, 2016
pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160505_200323.jpg well I got the flare end started real quick tonight.

OP
OP
restless spirit

restless spirit

Mar 6, 2016
pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160506_191357.jpg 20160506_191344 (1).jpg well the long slickplate is 14 guage aluminum and the dropzone box is cheap home depot steel I just used to bend and see if my math is good now ill do the dropzone in 14 guage and start the punchplate classifier,, this is a smaller version than the original Thomas creek . we shall see how it gos. but its fun making it

OP
OP
restless spirit

restless spirit

Mar 6, 2016
pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160508_101802.jpg the aluminum drop zone box is off to the side but I'm sizing up this punchplate to mount on the mini brackets that will hold the classifer plate in place .but so far so so fun making a mini version of a Thomas creek sluice.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1309727
The aluminum drop zone box is off to the side but I'm sizing up this punchplate to mount on the mini brackets that will hold the classifer plate in place .but so far so so fun making a mini version of a Thomas creek sluice.

Looking good!

I see you use the same 30" sheet metal brake from Harbor Freight that I use. Did you go with the 3003-H14? aluminum?
And yes it is fun, and the more projects you complete the more addicted you become. Plus aluminum is so easy to work with.

I have had to back off lately not because of lack of desire but lack of space. In fact I'm in the process of selling off my larger projects.
Looking forward to seeing your sluice in action as well as your next build.

Keep up the good work :icon_thumleft:
GG~

OP
OP
restless spirit

restless spirit

Mar 6, 2016
pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha yea I did go with that same aluminum , I livw with 2 miles of three sheet metal shops. haha. I really like this little break its good for all I'm gonna build.i wish I had some cutters that will cut like a hot knofe through butter though

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is coming along great ........is that 1/4" punch plate?

OP
OP
restless spirit

restless spirit

Mar 6, 2016
pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you bet it is.. its 4 inches wide just a babv! and 16 long..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions