Sell any of your finds?

rush30

Nov 8, 2006
Northeast, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Do any of you sell your finds? I've seen a lot of cool finds, and i think if you kept all of your finds, you would need to build a addition to your homes! Do you give some of your finds as gifts? Like all the nice rings that have been found? I have a little box with my junk finds, and i think it would be hard to just throw them away. Is that the way all of you feel? That no matter what you find, a diamond ring, or a piece of scrap, that you just can't part with it?

rush

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not sold anything yet. I have melted down some gold and had jewelry made for my wife. Have given a few finds away and had a few contests with finds. Hard to part with them! HH, Mike

D

disharoon

Hello,
I usually don't throw away much. All the things I can't identfy and other cool things I keep. My little daughter usually goes with me evertime I go and she saves "everything." She'll pull out the jars of "treasures" and talk about how we found them, where we went, where we ate lunch or whatever. I couldn't throw them away or sell them because they have memories of time we spent together. They are all treasures to us.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I don't hang onto typical junk.....just the interesting stuff. I have recently thrown away broken costume jewelry and stuff that wasn't of any value. I don't have alot of space to store alot. I plan of getting a display case and putting all my jewelry and nice coin finds in. It will make a neat conversation piece!

HH,
Moon

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Hey rush 30, Yeah I've sold a few things. Netted $850 for a belt buckle once.Sold an 1807/6 lg. cent at an auction once, it had a big chunk chiseled off one edge,sold it mainly out of curiosity just to see what a coin like that would bring being so damaged.It brought 42.50, not bad for the condition. I used to give all my silver rings to my ex, now I give them to my girlfriend.As far as all the scrap metals go, all the junk Iron is discarded all the brass and copper goes in buckets and gets saved up till theres enough to scrap,copper is $1.60 a pound right now so it all has value eventually.There's my two cents,have a good one Bootstrap

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a bucket full of lead fishing weights. Talked to a few guys fishing on the beach and all of them were interested in buying them. Next time I will being the bucket along and try to unload some.
1) fisherman buy weights
2) fishermen loose weights
3) I find them
4) sell back to fishermen
5) buy more batteries....

D

dugupfinds

I sell nothing of importance. I have 2 safes full of stuff, and rotate displays in the local Museum.

Most of the junk including what you call colonial coins went in the hedge. Although now I sell the junk I use to throw away on ebay.

I do sometimes give people with special interests the odd thing or 2.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
One of my goals in MD'ing is to gather coin collections for each of my kids. A lot of the Mercuries I find I already have, so I trade. When I get 50 silver dimes (Roseys and Mercs), I roll them and trade for coins I don't have at a local dealer. I also leave a lot of coins with people who give me permission to search their property. Many Mercuries and Indians disappear this way, and the owners usually appreciate the gesture. I was fortunate recently to leave a 42 Walker as a gift, since I have found four of that date and mint (nice situation to have, don't you think?). The owner is happy to have me back anytime 8). I don't leave silver Washingtons and Roseys because they just don't look like anything special, or different. When I get a roll of excess Washingtons, I'll trade them too. I do have some remorse for trading two gold wedding rings I found.

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
I've traded a lot of stuff for things that I really wanted. For instance, a few years ago I traded some of my duplicate silver coins with a value of $450 for an 1898 gold double eagle in AU condition. That way, I reduced my inventory and picked up something I really liked.
Bob

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I once found an intact Mountain Dew can while searching a sanded area up in Michigan. I redeemed it for the 10 cent deposit. Does that count?

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
teklord said:
I have a bucket full of lead fishing weights. Talked to a few guys fishing on the beach and all of them were interested in buying them. Next time I will being the bucket along and try to unload some.
1) fisherman buy weights
2) fishermen loose weights
3) I find them
4) sell back to fishermen
5) buy more batteries....

Step one; buy underpants.......

I haven't sold anything yet, I really haven't found anything worth more than it's sentimental value. I could probably get $30-40 for my half dime, but it was THE FIRST coin I EVER dug, so it's worth more to me than that. I'm hoping to someday get a coin that's worth a few hundred or more, we'll see. I like the Idea of digging re-cyclables, I found an old home site that is littered with COPPER siding, I intend to thouroughly excavate it in the coming year.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't sell either, if I don't need to...

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have every silver coin and ring I have ever found, dating back to late 70's. I had found a bunch of gold rings in New Orleans, and sold those, but that was about it. I save every piece of copper and it goes into my scrap bin. My brother gives me his scrap copper he finds , and I give him the fishing weights I find. I have not found anywhere near the silver other folks have (I have about 250 pieces), but I still have every one. I do turn in my clad though time to time after putting them thru the tumbler.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
I have sold a few things on eBay. One in particular was a Huckleberry Hound cereal spoon from the 50's. Got $20.00 for it. Things that are collectible like that seem to go the best, like some hot wheel cars. If you search eBay for certain coins and tokens many times you see the same thing you found, but like mint and for much less bucks than you'd accept for yours. I keep hoping someday a relic museum curator will come by and take a couple of boxes outta my shed.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I eventually sell almost everything as time passes -

it's like an endless cycle for me -

I used to keep "everything" until I figured out I could buy more detecting gear to find more stuff by selling/scrapping, etc.

I do save the "best of the best" in display cases but even that changes as time goes on and you find other things to replace some/most of it!

To each his own~

HH

OP
OP
R

rush30

Nov 8, 2006
Northeast, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Thanks for all of the replies! I don't know what i would do if i found something of great value. Hopefully i'll find out one day!
rush

shadowwalker

Feb 19, 2006
I sold about 15 years of finds. Back in 1988. I bought a 357 pistol. I used it to have detecting. I had it stolen from me out of my camper. While I was prospecting in wyoming. I guess that is how it goes sometimes.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold stuff and then wondered where it was. I've even lost stuff here in the house. In the garage I have five gal. buckets of hair pins, another full of barrettes. What for I have no idea. I'd just empty my pouch and look at the junk like it was good stuff.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, sold a whole trash can full of aluminum for 80 bucks to the scrap yard. And they say aluminum is junk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread