Selling gumballs

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a gumball machine. The price was about $30, and I say 'about' because I bundled it with some stereo equipment that I've since sold. The total deal was 80 including everything. I've already sold all the stereo gear for around $130.

I have a booth in an antique store in our downtown antique district. I initially put the machine in as-is with a pricetag of $80 on it. Once I got home, I regretted it and decided to sell gumballs instead. The booth it is in is a corner booth, and I positioned the gumball in a spot that everyone that comes in the store has to look dead at it on their way out. I know my kids can't pass up a gumball machine without getting one.

This machine has a basketball game in it. When you put your quarter in, the gumball is dispensed to a little launch flipper thing. As long as you continue to hit the flipper and make it in the little hoop, you can shoot again. When you miss, the gumball is dispensed. Not that great, but to a kid it's irrestible. According to the owners, not a single kids gets by the machine without putting at least one quarter in.

I bought an 850 count box of gumballs at Sam's Club for $20. When they are all gone, I will have $212.50. Haven't been by the booth in a while, but I am going to check it soon to see how it is doing. The cost of a gumball is less than 3 cents, so it's almost all profit. Not a huge moneymaker, but it's fun owning something that can make me a few dollars with no effort on my part. Plus it's a good service for the store - there are about 15 antique stores in the area, so you can imagine how bored kids get as they get dragged around from store to store.

Anybody else have one of these in operation?

IMG_2574.JPG

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My neighbor used to have one. And he would open up his garage and all the neighborhood kids would go inside and play it whenever they were walking back-and-forth from school. And then in the summer as they are playing outside they could go inside the garage and play also. He had a son that was about eight so his friends would play it as well. I never asked how much money they got for it but I think his wife came home and back into it one day and smashed it with the truck. All I know is that my kids were doing all kinds of chores to get quarters.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You would get more to use it if it was standing up instead of laying down..But that is a good looking gum ball mach. and you got a good price on it.. I a long time had gum ball and candy machines in different business's … and it was fun and gave me a few extra bucks …. But with all the big companies out there i did not have a chance after a while … sold all my machines to flea market people to use..and make a few bucks with..

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's mostly for fun, but I think I can probably sell 30-40 bucks in gum balls a month. The lady that owns the place is buying at least 2 a day when she is there.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang a sign on it. Silver quarters only lol

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and where do those kids stick the used gum when tired of it? under that $2000 antique english dining room table in someone else's booth. ;)

OP
OP
M

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and where do those kids stick the used gum when tired of it? under that $2000 antique english dining room table in someone else's booth. ;)

I'll be sure and tell them to keep off your lawn Cyberdan. :)

My booth is the last one before they leave the shop, so at least it would be a vendor in another store. Our shop would never have a $2000 table anyway. That's further up the street.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread