Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harder then trying to ID a meteorite, does anyone know of a helpful website or publication
on priceing meteorites I wish to sell. And where to/how to sell them. Though about Ebay,
but that site is loaded with fraud & scams. I don't want to get ripped off,or rip off anyone.
:hello:
Hello golden ray
From want I understand/researched...there shouldn't be a problem putting them forsale privately anywhere...as long as they have been properly tested by 'acknowledged experts' who have done the tests/verifications, by which then you have documented proof in your possession for each piece to give to the purchaser as well, (which you may have already).
That's just what I'm lead to believe.

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an annual publication that is available that discusses pricing, although I forget what it is called. Your best bet as far as determining what to expect to pay for or sell for is EBAY. But EBAY really favors buyers, not sellers so much.
Is there a particular meteorite you have interest in, or general interest? I might be able to help.
Or, you can always join the metlist - Meteorite Central - home of the Meteorite Mailing List

I've been a member for about 6-7 years, and have learned more than I thought was possible.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I disagree about Ebay. I don't think value can ever be established at any auction. Pricing and buying is often emotional and has to do with the limited number of buyers that happened to see the item during the auction. Established sellers are the best people to know what something's worth both wholesale and retail.
I've bought things on Ebay for a fraction of what they were worth. Usually because no one else was bidding. It's really gotten too big.

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP, check out "The Global Meteorite Price Report", and a book called "The Art of Collecting Meteorites".
Hvacker, I agree with the above to an extent. One perfect example of how pricing/value can be determined on ebay is look up "NorthwestAfrica5000". Mr. Hupe usually lists 1 or 2 pieces each week, usually between 150-500 milligrams. Eventually, this material will run out. I have been trending this since before I bought my piece, and since - every week. The price has become totally predictable, and it is not cheap.
I have made out real well on ebay as well. I owe most of my collection to it.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to check out the "The Global Meteorite Price Report", sounds cool. Ebay prices are a good source with established sellers. I worked with meteorites and collected specimens well before the internet (1978) Used to write to-well....everybody---snail mail catalogs science,lapidary. I still have some of the old hand written price & mailing lists from Blaine Reed,David New and the earliest catalogs from Haag & Bethany Sciences.
SO-Ebay and the internet are very handy ,accurate and quick regarding-buying,selling,pricing and all the info you could ever need.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions