selling silver

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
I have been thinking about selling some of my junky silver/cleaned silver coins and buying some nicer coins for my collection.
Where do you guys sell your silver at? I have heard mention of Feebay. Are there any other good alternatives? I have called several places around here, and their offers are jokes. One pawn shop I called was offering $6 per silver dollar! lol I called a coin shop and they were only giving $10 per $1 face, one dollar for each 40%er and 20 cents for war nickels!

Upvote 0

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Craigslist or Coin shows are good options. Or you can list them on here in the classified section. If you want to make the most money, hit up a coin show on the first day and shop around to see who is offering the best prices. If you are just wanting to upgrade to some other coins, you can probably get a pretty good deal.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the coinshow!!! they are paying crazy $$$ then shipping coins to China. You must check ou the shows!!

OP
OP
FingerGrime

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
Thanks for the advice guys. I will look into Craigslist. I have no experience with it. There is a coin show in Louisville later this month. I think I will check it out.

OP
OP
FingerGrime

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
Two questions:
1). What sort of difference in prices would I expect from the first day of a coin show versus a later day?
2). What sort of rate would I get at AMPEX if I only had about $500 or so to sell?

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For APMEX, you get their best price when you have $500 or more 40%ers. Their price is about 93.3% of melting silver price. Shipping and insurance cost about $30.

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I just sold $1,000 face in 40%ers to APMEX last week (now I wish I had waited until this week, but what the heck). I also worked with Trae - very helpful. Very simple and straightforward transaction. I am pleased with the deal, even though I hate to part with any PM's, but it seemed that the time was right and the 40% pile was becoming hard to manage. I plan to do it again soon, maybe next week if this spike continues.
- Grizz

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
FingerGrime said:
Two questions:
1). What sort of difference in prices would I expect from the first day of a coin show versus a later day?
2). What sort of rate would I get at AMPEX if I only had about $500 or so to sell?

First day of the coin show you can expect vendors to be trying to up their supply of "junk" silver coins. The last day of the show, they are trying to unload as much of the numismatic valued coins as they can so they don't need to pack it back up. I can't give you examples of figures because they change with spot price. I would guess that on the first day you might be able to get 10-12 times face value for 90%ers and maybe 4-5 times on the 40%ers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread