Share your memories: When your keeper count broke the 100 barrier.

Half-Hound

Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
I'm about to reach a 3-digit total for silver halves. I am at 98 now, the 100 keeper total could happen any day for me. I'm a bit excited about this! I've been looking forward to this ever since I realized it was a possibility.

Does anyone care to share a story of the coin that pushed you over this number? What was the coin, how long did it take you to reach 100? How did you "find" this special coin? Thanks for sharing.

Half Hound

Thanks

Upvote 0

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit my hundredth coin on one heck of a find. It was a 40%er. I went to a bank and got like 220 dollars worth all rolled. All of them were someone's dumps, but whoever dumped didn't ask if this bank had any halves. Because 2 of the rolls were solid 40%ers. I was shocked. Those are what put me over the 100 silver mark. It is a day I will probably never forget. I remember earlier in that same month I got 5 rolls from one bank, all containing 8-10 40%ers each. That was my best month ever.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i usually would get a 100 keepers a month but i did massive volumes for a long time. many times i would get 100+ a week. i think those days are long gone. at least until silver drops below 15.00/oz. i am only doing about 4K a week in halves now, down from 2 years ago when i was doing 12K a week. i have been thinking about taking a month off my finds have been so meager. too many people hunting now. ahh but i do remember those days......what a thrill.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
It happened to me so long ago that "Moby Dick was just a Minnow". Recent finds have slowed way down but 100 every 2 weeks is about average right now. HH, cheers Jim

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
when i first started, i found like 3-10 silvers per 2 boxes. one week i found a collection, 87 silvers, didn't want it to end, that prob put me over the 100 mark. i labeled that hunt as a month in my book, with the whole some months having 4 and 5 weeks, i label good weeks as a month, but never came close to that again. would love to experience it again... have experienced a bunch of non silver proofs though

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I hit 100 halves the first week I began. About 3 years ago when silver spiked. Loose and scattered in rolls. 2 or 3 banks. Life was good then.
Took awhile to get 100 dimes, maybe a month or two, 4-12 box orders per week.
Interesting, my dime finds have averaged the same over the last 3 years. ffd

OP
OP
Half-Hound

Half-Hound

Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010

It happened with the suddenness of a broken bootlace. I walked up to window number 12, the Merchant Teller at a Wells Fargo Bank. Her name was Rosalba. She was professionally dressed, about 35 and really quite lovely. She had 3 rolls of halves that she seemed happy to be rid of. The first roll that I opened contained an otherwise ordinary 1967 half. But that coin was special to me: it was my silver half number 100!

I received a Starbuck’s card as a door prize earlier that same day, so I guess it was just my lucky day.

Half Hound

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
It happened with the suddenness of a broken bootlace. I walked up to window number 12, the Merchant Teller at a Wells Fargo Bank. Her name was Rosalba. She was professionally dressed, about 35 and really quite lovely. She had 3 rolls of halves that she seemed happy to be rid of.
my name is Friday....SGT Joe Friday..........sorry couldn't help that one....anyone here remember Dragnet?....... :icon_scratch:.......Christ i'm old :-[

OP
OP
Half-Hound

Half-Hound

Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
Questions for:
Mistergee, are those Franklins in the photo by your personal info? It looks like a good haul.

Gris, how do you get the skeleton to "walk?"

Rileyboy, how can you distinguish clad halves from silver in enders when the reverse side is showing?

Half Hound

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember mine clearly as if it was yesterday. It was a steamy summer afternoon and I was out cruising in my `71 El Camino. Oh what it was like to be on the open road with the wind whipping through my mullet and a cold 40 in my hand. As I was passing by the trailer park a few towns over, I noticed a small bank nestled between a BBQ joint and a pawn shop. I pulled into the bank parking lot and jumped out. My jorts were a bit tight and had to rearrange the package a bit before reaching back to get my comb. With a few strokes of the comb through my windblown mullet I was primed for silver searching. Strolled into the bank and briskly walked up to the counter. As I approached the counter this massively large teller waddles from the back corner of the bank. She must have had a late lunch because she was gnawing on a rib bone getting the last morsels of meat off as she walked toward me. It smelled really good. I knew I needed to be a charmer on this cold call as I didn’t have an account at this small community bank. I leaned up against the counter making sure to show off my confederate flag tattoo on my shoulder which was exposed by my Florida Gators tank top. I gave her a head nod and flashed my new smile (few days earlier had 3 of my front teeth pulled at the dentist). Then I popped the question. She stood there for a few seconds taking in what I had just asked for. Slowly she looked down at her teller drawer. In between bites of rib meat she says she has $10 worth. I told her I would take them and then came the dreaded question…. Do you have an account here? Again flashing my new smile I was honest with her and said “No, I do not.” I could see the wheels spinning in her mind as to what to do. She looked up at me noticing my bright new smile, pencil thin physique and awesome hair and said “Well I have had these for a few years, you can buy them.” With that, I whipped out 7 crinkled ones and 6 half dollars and bought them from her. As I dropped the 6 halves into her hand she gave me this weird look but I didn’t care, I was buying what I knew had to be silver. I ran out of the bank as fast as I could, jumped into the EL and cranked her up. I made sure to leave some rubber on the parking lot in appreciation for them selling me the halves. As I was driving back to my RV where I lived at the time, I cracked open the roll. As I dumped it out I noticed that every coin looked clad except the last one. There it was….my 100th silver half…a 40%er. Awww, the memories. Havent looked back since.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Half-Hound,
yes they are all 1963 Ben Franklin halfs, i found 13 unopened rolls of them. you can see more pics in the link i posted.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
My story is more like silver cops. Although my volume was not always massive. I used to pull over 100 easy from 3-4 boxes regular for the first couple of years I did this. I do remember my first silver coin found roll hunting and it was a 1969 40%. It was the only one the bank had and it was silver. I was siked that what I had been reading about on tnet was true and became a silverholic after that. I don't remember anything for the next two years. LOL.

Golden Silver

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
Mine was at the beginning of this year bought a bag from a coin counter an it had 39 halves put me over the 100 mark then a few weeks later found two full rolls of silver quarters and 5 loose ones from one teller 85 at one shot. happy hunting RON

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Many,many,many moons ago..... The first bank, on the first road trip did it for me. Pulled 158-90% and 78-40%. I've really noticed local competition since the beginning of the year. It used to be me and one other guy going full time in this town, not anymore.....here's a kicker........ Loomis is so low on halfs that when I go to pick them up.... they are Brinks ..... and Brinks are where all my dumps go along with everyone else in my area. not good...

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't remember the 100 mark. But I did break 400 in 40%ers this weekend. Been CRHing since Jan this year. Hope to hit 750 by the end of the year. Will do more road trips during holidays to help reach that goal.

apush :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread