Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I call myself a 'metal detectorist' and not a 'treasure hunter'. In 16 years I have only sold one item, and that was on the insistence of the landowner. Donated many items to museums. I like the mouseman's post - they echo my sentiments.

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found a several things of value,gold rings,bracelets, silver rings and coins. The only thing I sell is the clad I dig up, i will put the clad towards spending money on a vacation. All the other valuables I will save for retirement or if I ever needed money bad enough. But I haven't sold anything other than clad yet. Good luck to you all I hope you find something valuable!!

GunsABlazn

Sep 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to the hobby and all I have found so far, after one 1-hour session with my Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100, was scrap metal which I sold for $4 and is going into my "save for a better detector" fund. I have been doing some research lately on where to hunt so we will see if that changes.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive only sold a few gold rings, I have probally 12 of them left...I keep the ones with diamonds and the ones that are older..I keep all my silver jewlery until i get about 20 OZ's..which im now at 9.5 Oz's

Jewelry really means nothing to me..I love finding it, but thats about it
As for my coins...i would NEVER sell my coins...i actually keep track of where i found them and when i found them. But im also a coin collector, so it would be pointless selling my coins.

Trsut me thou, after a few years of detecting...You will see that your machine pays for itself quickly each year...My ATP has more than paid for itself in just clad over the last couple years

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually keep mine but have found enough in value to cover my detector. Good luck!

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife and I have talked about this before, wondering what the "If it's worth more than x-amount of dollars we'll sell it" limit would be. I scrap jewelry when I get it (if it's real), but I was a coin collector as a kid, and I still have a lot of fascination with them....BUT I think if it was worth a significant amount of money I could probably sell. On the other hand, we never did decide on what that will-sell value would be :)

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Consider it a hobby that can pay for itself if you put enough time into it and chose to. Not many hobbies like that around. It is also a hobby that is addicting. I will sell some to buy more equipment and keep some for collection. It's easy to say your gonna sell the stuff, it's another story when the goods are actually in your possession! We all approach it in a different manner with different expectations- it's a great hobby.

You don't need to spend a ton of money to start. A Compadre, Silver uMax, F2, Alpha, Gamma, Coinmaster, or Ace aren't high priced and can pay for themselves pretty quick. A lot of great finds have been made with these lower priced detectors. Lower priced doesn't means lower quality in the case of the detectors I have listed. The results in the forums speak for themselves.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well for me it is like this i have sold every thing i have found except my first find…... It was a scale weight & i found that about 40 years ago DSCN0734.JPG DSCN0738.JPG

Last edited:

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
I would sell the Modern jewelry if a need ever comes up.I like the relic's to much to sell them.Same with the coins.I convince myself like most that if I really needed to sell this stuff I would come out ahead.I have found more value than Ive spent on actual gear.But If I added up all the gas,time detecting I could of been working...I am prob not ahead.But ive meet so many great people and had so much fun exploring alot of interesting places/ land/forest that I feel ive gained much more than money.Its been a great trip.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well with me the things i find are just objects to me if it be relic's or coins and just sitting around to look at gives me no thrill at all….. I do not get attached to my finds .. And to me if a relic does not bring me in $$ it is just junk to go to the scrap yard...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I accidently sold an item...haha. I had my display case at my local market, this lady points to an item and says "I want that" I told her that the recently dug brass hose nozzle wasn't for sale. $5 later, we were both happy.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea my fiance thinks im crazy but the rest of family is kinda anxious for me to go out and look lol. My uncle has about 40 acres of hunting property and has a creek that should hold gold...i have permission to pan there when the pans come in the mail. Also, we live in an old School house building that is considered "historic" in our county and I really want to get a detector and check out the fields and yards lol.

I say do it, you have a good spot to begin. I'd say there are around 80,000 members here who'd like to hit that site :) You can spend many hours searching there, taking your time, learning your detector. It's not a guarantee you'll find wealth, but you're certain to find something.

If you buy a detector, go at least above the "toy" level. If you don't, and you get hooked, you'll just end up buying another one. If you're disappointed you can always put it on Craigslist.

I'll leave it to others to advise you on what to buy. And don't forget Craigslist - searching for the term "metal detector". Someone else will have given up.

There was a question posted here recently asking just what the percentage was of new users who quit and gave up. Had I responded, I would have said "most". My reason for saying that = they cannot find good sites to search and are impatient. It takes a while to learn the language of any detector. You want to listen to the sound in the ground, not the pretty screen which is supposed to identify the target.

Thank you for your service!

Deepseeker

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am still sitting on all that I have found. Silver coins, rings, gold ring, gold pendant, even my clad that amounts to about $140. But I do like to go through my junk bag after every hunt and separate my copper and brass. It's amazing how much of that stuff you actually find in a summer. Then I like to take that to the scrap yard and collect. Can't seem to part with anything else yet. But when you guys talk about the work you put in to find these valuables, you are right. They are nice to keep. I even took my jewelry to the pawn shop to get it appraised. I decided to keep it and I'm glad.

troppy12

Greenie
Oct 14, 2014
I am still sitting on all that I have found. Silver coins, rings, gold ring, gold pendant, even my clad that amounts to about $140. But I do like to go through my junk bag after every hunt and separate my copper and brass. It's amazing how much of that stuff you actually find in a summer. Then I like to take that to the scrap yard and collect. Can't seem to part with anything else yet. But when you guys talk about the work you put in to find these valuables, you are right. They are nice to keep. I even took my jewelry to the pawn shop to get it appraised. I decided to keep it and I'm glad.

I decided to keep my finds. I will probably sell these in the near future.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've cashed in some clad and sold some scrap metal and copper, but have kept everything else. No particular reason, I like the stuff that I found versus cash from selling it.

I finally got around to ordering a display case to put all of my rings in :thumbsup:

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, just curious about whether or not yall sell anything yall find? Im going through the threads and loving what is being found. I want to get a metal detector but those are expensive...do any of you sell your treasure or coins to pay for such high end equipment?

Herr in Arizona you don't find much worth selling. I've only found two modern coins, other than that a lot of bullets and shells. They're very cool to display and talk about, but ultimately worthless to anyone who hasn't dug them up.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Herr in Arizona you don't find much worth selling. I've only found two modern coins, other than that a lot of bullets and shells. They're very cool to display and talk about, but ultimately worthless to anyone who hasn't dug them up.

I like what this guy said, lots of truth there, for the hours I have put it might as well say this !

WARNING DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON "TREASURE FREE ZONE" etc, etc !!!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be hard for me to trade any valuable tangible asset for fiat currency unless I needed to.

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i need to find my box of keepers they are here some where just recently moved. i want to post items on here to get dates and values. they are just objects to me now, i have held onto them for a few years now and they just sit in a box now. your much rather have the cash than the items now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread