Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell people who sell their gold to pawn shops even those who pay top dollar that they may as well threw their money down a rat hole. I imagine ARA Gold is where the pawn shops sell their gold for those big payouts. ARA says they make their money from the silver that is refined from the gold. I didn't know there was any silver in gold but I could be wrong.
Gold is mixed with other metals to make it harder. A 14k ring is 58% gold and the other 42% can be silver or other metals. That's the silver they are talking about.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARA is the way to go

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FLauthor:
24 karat gold - 100% Au - pure gold, very soft and very easily bent, too soft for jewelry.
Therefore the gold is alloyed with silver, copper, nickel or zinc:
22 karat gold - 91.7% Au - still too soft for most jewelry
18 karat gold - 75.0% Au - for fine jewelry, the best for beauty and durability
14 karat gold - 58.3% Au - OK for jewelry but the gold is of a duller color
12 karat gold - 50.0% Au - not OK for most western jewelry
10 karat gold - 41.7% Au - legal limit for 'real' gold in USA
Copper is alloyed with gold to create rose gold.
Silver is alloyed with gold to create a Yellow gold
Nickle is alloyed to gold to create White gold.
Most likely several different metals are alloyed with gold to create the desired effect.

Recyclers are able to pay 95% to 98% of the spot price of pure gold (24K), as they are getting the alloyed metals
for free, which increases their profit margin.

I tell people who sell their gold to pawn shops even those who pay top dollar that they may as well threw their money down a rat hole. I imagine ARA Gold is where the pawn shops sell their gold for those big payouts. ARA says they make their money from the silver that is refined from the gold. I didn't know there was any silver in gold but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I sold my gold to Midwest Refineries as they are near me and I could walk in and sell it for 95% of spot on that day. But then they went to shipping only for security reasons and held the gold till they melted it and paid you what ever the price was on that day. They never returned your stones or pieces that they said were not gold even after I tested them. I have since switched to ARA and have been happy with my sales.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 10K ring Friday with the letters IR in front of the 10K mark. Does that mean it's gold plated. IR = it's real or I'm a rooster. lol. My at/pro found it between 8-10 inches and it didn't show on the DVI scale, but the pip let me know it was a ring. Kind of large and the stone looks like it's fake. I will post photos tomorrow. Had to Mama sit today because she's sick.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 10K ring Friday with the letters IR in front of the 10K mark. Does that mean it's gold plated. IR = it's real or I'm a rooster. lol. My at/pro found it between 8-10 inches and it didn't show on the DVI scale, but the pip let me know it was a ring. Kind of large and the stone looks like it's fake. I will post photos tomorrow. Had to Mama sit today because she's sick.
I R is the makers mark...plated rings are marked GP=gold plated, GF=gold filled or HGE=heavy gold electroplate after the karat mark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread