Sense of entitlement.

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
Blue Laws are another topic I can mention here also. Did folks realize these exist? Lets say you find a silver ring hunting a city park, course most do not have a name engraved inside the band, and the one you found does not either. Silver is very high currently, when I started metal detecting it was about $4.30 cents an ounce. The silver content places the value of the ring well above $3. I use the amount of $3, due to there are in many city ordinances, old laws still on the books that were never taken off, this makes them still legal, these are called "blue laws." In the eyes of the law you should turn the ring in to the city. Then you have to file a claim for ownership if the owner does not come forward in a certain amount of time. This isn't England folks this is right here in good old USA!
Next post I will make will explain this all a bit further to where I stand on the whole subject.

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
The keeping of a ring or a nice find isn't a question of right or wrong in the non-finders eyes. It is an individual person's choice of what they are ok inside with. If you find something and do not feel guilty about keeping it, then thats great. If you find something and feel you know who it belongs to, and the right thing to do is try to return it then do so. Like I said it is a personal choice.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has thier own oppinions. Me on the other hand, I look at the states, or government getting a piece of the action and THEM NOT doing the research or findings, they pretty well use the finder as "CHEAP LABOR" doing ALL the reasearch and work, then the government getting thier share.

It frustrates me that if the government wants it that bad, they should use the funding, personnel and go research, dive, dig, or whatever if they wanted to get it that bad. So the LAZY A$$ government don't want to spend money, they use treasure finders, so they can get a BIG CHUNK of share or RAPE the researcher/finder from ALL found treasure/cache!

Me, if I found several MILLIONS of DOLLARS worth of treasures and the state, government, or archological society wanted a piece of it and was fighting to get it. I would spend all of it to use against them in one heck of a fight. I would sue the government for either all of it, or for me doing my years of research and doing all the work, because if I didn't research or find it, the government surely wouldn't do it, so what right do they have getting it? My oppinion, if it was me, I would sue the governement for $500,000,000.00 finders fee for my research and work, JM $0.02

Greed of people for thier own gains, like ex-spouses, girlfriends/boyfriends, long lost relatives and friends you never knew you had or heard of, or just people who want to cash in on someone else. It is a sad state we live in and the court system sucks and allows it to happen, they don't care because that makes them more money. I have my own oppinions as to do with people like that, but I will remain silent. The laws are jacked up, if one gets arrested for something that they truely didn't do or have no affiliation with said crime, or whatever. It isn't "innocent until proven guilty", But, "prove you are not guilty" The government and court systems are ALL about the money!

I go gambling once in a while. If I invite someone along who I am friends with, (just for the company), I make an agreement with them, If I win anything, we split 50/50, if they win anything we split 50/50. Some people may disagree, but it shows true friendship and that way both of you come out ahead. I have won money and split it, and people I brought along won money and split it. We split it immediately after the winning. Generally we are close to each other so we can see if the other one wins anything. I usually walk out with more money because I set a spending limit out of my right pocket and put my winnings in my left pocket, hence, when my right pocket is empty, it is time to leave.

As far as doing research on something and inviting someone to come along and detect with you, generally one who is invited is a friend or a new friend, and findings should be shared, because later on that person may research something and invite you along. Friends will most likely ALWAYS be there for you where as girlfriends/boyfriends and maybe spouses will never last, we ALL can use GOOD HONEST friends. Even some friends never last, but if you are going to bring someone along or if they invite you, make an agreement with each other. If you invited someone along and you did all the research and they find a big expensive item would you think you should get to keep it or would you feel they should give it to you because you did the research and invited them along and vice versa if they did the research? Now if it is something that can be sold, split the money or buy the other out, or lets say your friend found 3 barbers, and you found 13 babers and 2 wheaties, but he did the research, be a good friend and split it with them, make sure that if you did the research that they do the same. Pocketing something really worth finding and keeping it secret is dishonest if you have an agreement with someone you brought along and vice versa, but don't want either to know about it. In reality, everyone has some sort of greed in us regardless no matter what, whether it is money, monitary items, toys, food, etc.

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
In the cases of large sums or hoards being found, the finder is unable to use the money in a case due to court orders locking the assets until proper ownership is determined. The goverment is that prepared. Does the government do research? See my next post.

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
The Government appears to do some very good research on its part I do believe. Many of the really large caches of outlaw holdup loot and other known caches appear to lay within national parks and other restricted areas of the country. Others reading this post should be able to acknowledge some very well known caches in their own regions that they are prohibited from even looking for with a metal detector. Did folks in the past bury the money for safe keeping knowing these regions would one day be off limits there-by they would be safe? I doubt it!
Things are truely sad in this respect.

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
If you ever win the lottery, you will find the same experience. If you ever find a big treasure cache, and it becomes known about, regardless of whether you live in England or the U.S. or Zimbabwe, you will hear from the land owner, the local government, and the national government!! It's just human nature.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my research over the years, I did find that most of the large caches are on federal or state properties. It kinda makes you think if most of the stories are real being you can't dig in the areas it doesn't make sense lets say, that if a $100,000.00 gold coin payroll was stolen and buried shortly after the robbery in a lets say on a 200,000 acre mountain area federal property. If the government knows some what the area the robbery took place is a, lets say 40 acre area why would the government make a national park, etc, of example the whole 200,000 acres?

Doesn't make sense to me. I know some of the places have some historical history and views that the government doesn't want destroyed, ie, like the Grand Canyon and such places like that. If the area wasn't that big to look for the stolen cache it seems the government would do it's own search, (which they have the funds and manpower) and get it back. Just my $0.02

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
Most cases the outlaws with stolen loot buried the stuff in remote locations due to no one would see them. These remote locations with no visable buildings, street signs or other signs of man later became the National Parks we have today. I have found that some hiking trails go right past the general areas of some of the big caches, but where the treasure lies buried is anyones guess. If there were waymarks or signs left by the original outlaws, forest fires and the park's current belief in letting them burn themselves out destroyed those. If the waymarks were rocks, landslides and erosion are also destroying them too. Over time the chances of finding some of them will be very remote.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Its human nature.
When I win the Lotto, I am keeping my mouth shut. If I find anything I think might tempt others, I will keep my mouth shut.
Marc, the founder of this website, could tell you a bit about claim jumpers.
Like they used to say in The X-Files "Trust No One"

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro said:
Wellllll,

Remember those gas lines? It would seem the gas stations figured a way around it. Jack up the price when nearing a holiday weekend, people find out about it and they come in early and fill up, or wait until after to fill up, smoothing out the volume and reducing the chance they need to call a tanker in twice in one day.

I mean, just off the top of my head....... :wink: :wink: :wink:
THANK YOU JEFFRO!!!!!! I was wondering if I was the only one noticing! Think, the gas lines break, prices soar. About the time repairs are made the prices drop back to the normal high. The storms hit and the 4 or 5 oil platforms get trashed, Prices soar, After the platforms are salvaged & repaired the prices drop to the normal high. I bet if someone had enough time to run the numbers they'd find the spike in prices were long enough to cover the repairs.

As for hunting & splits. My way of thinking is if I take someone hunting they are using their chosen machine, can swing a detector as good or better than me and has the same chance of making finds or getting skunked as I do. So all things equal, what ever ends up in your goodie bag is your CUT / SHARE. As far as dragging other hunters MDers back after being taken to or given access to a site is just plain rude and unethical.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
In California all lost property belongs to the person who lost it. And on the other subject:
When I find a great site I keep my mouth shut until I'm ready to share it with others.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ant said:
In California all lost property belongs to the person who lost it. And on the other subject:
When I find a great site I keep my mouth shut until I'm ready to share it with others.

So you find a ring on the beach, you then throw it down in the sand and re-detect it again ;D ;D ;D Now you lost a ring and found it so now it's yours! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hey being a smart a** is better than being a dumb a** ::)

Seriously, was detecting down in Newport Beach one night, got hassled by an Orange County Harbor Patrol Officer. He gave us the found property spiel, threatened to take all the coins we'd found. I encouraged him to do so which he did. Called the watch commander the next day. he told me to come get my stuff. I told him that his officer spent 45 minutes hassling us & explaining the found property law to us. Needless to say the Deputy got his butt chewed for wasting 45 minutes and the time and rescources to write the report. Needless to say when we'd see the patrol boat coming up the bay after that, we'd all line up and wave at him with our best sh ;Dt eating grins on.

OP
OP
ryaan21

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
Ant said:

So you find a ring on the beach, you then throw it down in the sand and re-detect it again ;D ;D ;D Now you lost a ring and found it so now it's yours! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hey being a smart a** is better than being a dumb a** ::)

Seriously, was detecting down in Newport Beach one night, got hassled by an Orange County Harbor Patrol Officer. He gave us the found property spiel, threatened to take all the coins we'd found. I encouraged him to do so which he did. Called the watch commander the next day. he told me to come get my stuff. I told him that his officer spent 45 minutes hassling us & explaining the found property law to us. Needless to say the Deputy got his butt chewed for wasting 45 minutes and the time and rescources to write the report. Needless to say when we'd see the patrol boat coming up the bay after that, we'd all line up and wave at him with our best sh ;Dt eating grins on.

Good job! Sounds like that award winner had nothing better to do than abuse his authority.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread