separating the fine gold from black sand ?

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many, many, many threads on this subject. Cheers

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A "blue bowl" "spiral wheel concentrator" or a "Miller table" would be the things I'd search for on here or google

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been many times I've put my gold in a plastic bag only to see a band of black sands show up.
I've seen people just use a sheet of printer paper, lay out the gold and blow off the black sands.

how I do it is, I first use a magnet, then lay a piece of butcher paper on the table then I put the dry gold
in my Falcon pan and tap and blow then use a toothpick and a magnify glass to make sure to get it all.

(edit) I also save what was black that was removed because I think to myself it may just be coated gold
then when I have a bunch saved up I'll soak them in vinegar and run them through a blue bowl again.

Last edited:

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CLASSIFY!!!!! If everything in your pan is the same SIZE, GOLD RULES (TM Mike Pung, the gold cube man)

simple as that, its a weight/density game.. A blue bowl isn't going to help you, neither is a miller table.. For those to work properly, you need to classify, and once you do that, its really easy to pan..

I went smaller than this pic, but the camera wouldn't pick it up. .0025" to .004", about the width of a human hair. Squeeky clean, in a pan... The writing on the paper,
standard ball point pen.
19901564351_874fc79d8c_c.jpg

Is .0025-.004" considered fine/flour?

If its not, the +400/-250 was even better... Squeeky clean with an easy panning, but the darn camera couldn't pick it up well.. And at that point you are pretty much
below what your naked eye can see...

Pick your device.. Table/blue bowl/wheel/pan..... If its relying on mechanical seperation, classification is the key.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking at classifiers, I think I want a set of the 4/6" size through 200 mesh?
Where is the better places of finding ?
I've looked online they want a lot of money for a small plastic bowl with stainless screen!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wrote a blog on this including my method and a couple links to experts like Mike Pung and Doc from Goldhog. Look back thru the posts to find the one on concentrates processing at www.findinggoldincolorado.com

OP
OP
H-2 CHARLIE

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice guys , like the magnet idea , I have about a gram of mixed up stuff

Attachments

• 2016-03-09 18.24.59.jpg
    2016-03-09 18.24.59.jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 270

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Bob is right! The closer you can get everything to being the same size the better. Gold is approx 19X heavier than water. Black sands come in at around 9X and your typical sand is around 3X. Because of this, the gold is going to want to stay in the same place once you get it to the bottom of your pan. As you wash your cons, gold will be the last thing to want to move with the water flow. It doesn't matter which recovery system you use! If everything is the same size, the gold is much easier to get separated from the other stuff. It's basic physics. Given that everything is the same size, a given amount of water flow is going to move the lightest material first. Control the size, the angle and the water flow and you're going to be set.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bob is right! The closer you can get everything to being the same size the better. Gold is approx 19X heavier than water. Black sands come in at around 9X and your typical sand is around 3X. Because of this, the gold is going to want to stay in the same place once you get it to the bottom of your pan. As you wash your cons, gold will be the last thing to want to move with the water flow. It doesn't matter which recovery system you use! If everything is the same size, the gold is much easier to get separated from the other stuff. It's basic physics. Given that everything is the same size, a given amount of water flow is going to move the lightest material first. Control the size, the angle and the water flow and you're going to be set.

...which is why all you really need is a few classifiers and some smooth bottomed 10" pans.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how I do it is, I first use a magnet, then lay a piece of butcher paper on the table then I put the dry gold
in my Falcon pan and tap and blow then use a toothpick and a magnify glass to make sure to get it all.

(edit) I also save what was black that was removed because I think to myself it may just be coated gold
then when I have a bunch saved up I'll soak them in vinegar and run them through a blue bowl again*

* blue bowl or Miller table will work but not as fast a s a pan once your skills are honed in. My Miller table is 6 Months old and hasn't moved in 5.

A gold pan is all you need. The misconception comes in with doing all your cons in one run. Nothing beats the pan. But it takes me three runs to clean. You pan,tap, fan and feather, then snuffer. Rinse your pan. Now dump your snuffer and Tap,fan and feather again, then repeat on more time. Then you dry it. Dump onto a piece of paper. I like to crease it down the middle first. Play with it till you get it all in a nice little safe pocket. Then you bounce and blow... That's right bounce and blow. You get the gold in the air just ever so slightly and blow of the sand that is left. Heavy pans

Last edited:

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After last week.......... I'm kind of burned out on fines.... lol

fines60gs.jpg

There's a video up on finish panning but I'll have to go back and find it.

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It takes a lot of patients but any of the above mentioned methods work you just need to find what works for you

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even with jetdry I can see nano gold float away out of my pan. Well looks like it does?
I have to do a better job at classifying thanks guys!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even with jetdry I can see nano gold float away out of my pan. Well looks like it does?
I have to do a better job at classifying thanks guys!

Might that just be mica you see?

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mica??? Silica?? I don't know?
Looks like a small speck of dust?
Too fast for my eye! That's why they say it "shoots" out of the pan! The speed of a bullet!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm starting to think maybe what you may have is mica. Tap the top of your pan. If it's gold it will walk up the pan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions