Serious discussion about finds, land owners and why we do what we do

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Alright, I'm sure some of you gasped out loud when you saw my name associated with "serious" in the topic, but this is something that needs to be discussed.. At least by me.
Recently there was a post by a guy who had found a gold coin on a site, and he gave it to the land owner. There was quite a few people that had a hard time swallowing this, and I admit that even I was a little surprised about it. There is a line in the proverbial sand that usually I follow, and its if I got permission I don't show my better finds to the owner in case he wants to keep them... But now I want to talk about the benefits of showing and giving your finds to the landowners.

I have a new site, my friend got permission from the landowner and we just started working it recently. This home and the HUGE fields around it were supposedly all thats left of a small community, plus the homesite was occupied by the union (Supposedly by The Beast himself). I stopped by after work yesterday and saw the landowner out doing some farm choirs and since I never had spoke with him, striked up a conversation. It of course led to me asking if anyone had detected around the house, and his reply was that I should just stick to the fields and that he was sure I wouldn't find anything.
I started detecting the rim of the now cut winter wheat field right up against the yard and had dug alot of crap like foil and wingnuts and what not and was just about to move further into the field when I dug a nice US calvary saddle rosette (round). Shortly after that I dug a very ornate saddle rosette (oval) with a very interesting sun design, a 1919 mercury dime and a double gilt flat button with all the gold gilt still on the back.
By this time the 98 degree temperature has me sweating like a pig so I call it quits for the day. I see the landowner and walk over and start talking about the house a little... Now this guy is a typical NC farmer.... Nice enough guy, but not very talkative. I pulled out my finds and he gets very excited, especially so over the US rosette, to the point he is almost stuttering about it.
This is when the dam broke. I couldn't get the guy to shut up! He went on and on about history (not just the home, we are talking pirates and OBX and you name it), and probably said 15 times he couldn't believe that here in his hand was a piece of history that he had probably walked over hundreds of times.
I told him to keep it (this was hard for me, because it was my first US rosette!). The farmer was totally and unbelievably happy! He kept asking me if I was sure about it because it was mine, I had dug it... I told him I had no problem with it, that it was in his field and I'm sure there is much more out there.
Then he told me about the 6 pounder cannon ball that he had hit with the tractor out in the field and pointed out the general area... Then he told me that if I come back tomorrow he will show the ball AND that I can dig around the house if I'd like, because he would love to see what I can find close to the house!

So... Here we are. I'm short one US bridle rosette but I've made an old man happy, learned alot of history about a house AND got exclusive permission to hunt a cherry portion of the site... Just by showing my finds and parting with a $25 civil war relic. ;D

This also made me think about why we do this hobby that we do. I've kept everything I've found... I've traded a few things to other people if I have doubles or what not, and I have given a few things away like colonial buckles and buttons.... But everytime I give something away, I get much more back in return. Be it respect, a heart-felt thank you or permission for a new site it is always, in my opinion, worth more than what ever the dollar value of the find is worth.
I've also made some great friends and met some of the worst detectorists out there. I have a habit of if I see someone swinging I'll pull over and chat with them. Some of those guys have become great hunting partners, while others just tried to use me for new sites, didn't cover their holes, left trash in the holes and never invited me to their sites.

In closing, this hobby is what you make of it. Don't get tied up on what you can do for yourself or how much money you might be able to sell finds for. It all works out better for us if we go with the flow and give a little back. In time those little things pay off big, we make great friends and learn a lot about history.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
cryptodave,

serious. Wow. O.K.

"The only things we ever keep
are what we give away."

have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,

I'm with you (although I'm NOT SURE I'd give up a $5 gold piece). I haven't been MDing very long and, frankly, 99% of the stuff I've dug has ZERO dollar value. But I always show everything to the land owner. All of them have been thrilled to see history come out of their ground.

I recently got permission to dig a field near my house. This is a rare opportunity because I live in the Washington DC suburbs and there aren't too many fields left to dig in my area. The house was built in the 1880's but the lady only said I could dig the field. Later I showed her 2 CW bullets and an arrowhead (plus all the other junk) I had found. I now have permission to hunt the entire property.

I think honesty will get you the best returns. So show all your stuff. You may lose a piece or two, but you'll find more opportunities.

DCMatt

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I posted this at another site awhile back and later posted it over here as well.

I have been doing alot of research on alot of different places. I always report to the landowners and what I find on their land. There has been only one ask me to do this, but I feel I should keep them all informed. I always offer them the first of whatever I find and inform them by the way of summery of what and where I have found items.
I have been searching this one landowner's land for a good while. He gives me the run of the place. I found a large Confederate camp on his land, he also has another Confederate camp on his land that I have not found as of yet and there are also lots of other very good points of intrest on his land. All he asked for is for me to keep him updated on what I find, if I find somethin pretty valuble we split it if it gets sold and to not publicize what is on his land until he decides how it needs to be handled. I understand his situation. The guy had some land in another county that an Indian mound was found on. The government came in and shut his farming down for a good bit while they dug the site. Afterwards he couldn't do anything to his land but farm it.
I old him that I would respect his wishes and do exactly the way he wanted me to do.
I found a couple of Enfield rounds from the one camp along with some other items. I went to find him to show him what I had found but was unable to locate him. I tried several times after that to catch him at his farm. It was like I just missed him. One day I caught up to him and told him about what I had found and told him the story about the camp. I told him that I was going to give him the first round with short story about the camp. I offered to give him whatever he wanted out of the stuff I found and a summery of the locations found. He told me that anything else no matter what it was I could keep it for my own collection or sale it for funding of my search. He told me to keep on keeping a log book and the summeries because it would be nice as a part of history of his place. He was very appreciative about me being honest with him.
A few days later I was approached by another landowner that has land adjacent to the other landonwer. He told me that he had heard that I was doing research and heard how I treated this other landowner. He told me that I was welcome to hunt his property with no strings attached. That made my day! I have been trying to contact this landowner for awhile to see about hunting his property because there is some really good stuff from the ORs about his land. I told him about what happened on his land and he enjoyed the story but he also knew a bit about what happened there. It's been too wet to hunt his property so I haven't been out there yet. I have been doing alot of research on the place and getting my maps inline. I will offer him the first relic(no matter what is is, including an 11 star CS buckle) with the letters from the ORs that tell about his place.
The more honest you are the better your chances of hunting more and more property.

Since this post I have talked to a few other landowners. I have yet to be turned down and they always mention another landowner who's property I have hunted.
I don't think this would be possible if I lied to the landowners.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i agree - i think you have to show and even offer the items to the land owner ... it will usually lead to lots more "good will"

i love to find stuff for the sake (and thrill) of finding it and if giving a couple pieces away leads to more good times - so be it ....

vp

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
finding a straight person in a crooked world ---is quite refreshing to most folks these days---and at worst consider it a form of "thank you" for the "loan" of his land --a land access payment if you will--- plus you made someone very happy---how often do you get to do that (give a good feling doesn't it)---plus as you say theres lots more stuff there to dig on--and his good feelings toward you can't hurt matters now can they?---Ivan

able_walker

Jun 25, 2007
I guess every situation is different,I would rather have an arrangement with the landowner and merrily go about my way rather than having to be afraid of someone running after me with a pitchfork.We also have to realize that many people could care less about history and relics and are probably best left in the dark.The time and effort it takes to actually find something interesting when no one else could be bothered counts for something.I also get annoyed when archaeologists claim that it's our common history for all and frown upon metal detectorists,as they take credit for something really significant and get a big fat grant next time they apply for one,meanwhile whatever is was you found ends up in the basement of some museum never to be seen again.

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
I will be honest, if I find a gold coin it is mine. I find it very hard to believe someone gave it up. In reality, I bet 99.9% of MDist never find a gold coin. I have given some "stuff" to land owners too but nothing I thought was "big". It does not always mean it is worth a lot of money but it could mean a lot to me. That is what makes you a true MDist. I have so many close to worthless crap that people aw at it, it isn't funny. I love it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread