Serious Question! Im baffled... Any thoughts ?

USMC-dad

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Serious Question! Im baffled... Any thought's ?

Hello ... im new here to this site and find it AWSOME! well, i had a couple questions, i was saving pre 1982 pennies for a few months and had over 50 pounds of them, i took them to a local scrap yard to sell them for the copper value and i was told it's illeagle <(spelling?) to sell them that way. my questions are...1.) is there any place to sell them for copper value? And 2.) If not what would be the difference in selling "silver" coins for the silver value? Thanks a million! USMC-dad

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Serious Question! Im baffled... Any thought's ?

Yes, it is illegal to melt copper pennies, but you can still sell them (ebay, craigslist, some coin shops) for over face or keep them until the melting ban is lifted. It's not the same a silver coins because if everyone melted down the copper cents, the mint would have to replace about 25% of the circulating coins at cost, as opposed to >.01 of circulating silver coins

HH
-GC

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldencoin said:
Yes, it is illegal to melt copper pennies, but you can still sell them (ebay, craigslist, some coin shops) for over face or keep them until the melting ban is lifted. It's not the same a silver coins because if everyone melted down the copper cents, the mint would have to replace about 25% of the circulating coins at cost, as opposed to >.01 of circulating silver coins

HH
-GC

+1

Semper Fi,
Cody

OP
OP
U

USMC-dad

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks so much GC & Cody now i understand , Have a Great day! Semper Fi PS. My sons being deployed the 27th of march Please keep him in your prayers Thanks! USMC-dad

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

USMC-dad said:
Thanks so much GC & Cody now i understand , Have a Great day! Semper Fi PS. My sons being deployed the 27th of march Please keep him in your prayers Thanks! USMC-dad
Tell you son thank you for his service. Yes we will keep him our prayers!
cooper

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

USMC-dad said:

Will do. I pray that all my brothers stay safe.

OP
OP
U

USMC-dad

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you ALL so much And god bless!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

You can sell them on Feebay.. although minus commissions you won't be getting too much.

You can however melt Canadian coppers. They go for double their face value on Feebay.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

USMC-dad said:
Thank you ALL so much And god bless!

Thank your son for his service for me, and may god watch over him during his deployment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread