Serranilla bank beacon cay and other interesting sites

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
Belizeanpirate:
Serranilla is indeed a very pristine and exotic area as isolated as you can get in planet earth. Should you need to get to an emergency room figure on a couple of days minimum, depending on how you got there, Jamaica or Providencia being equidistant. Bob Marx was right, as he almost always is, in the abundance of aquatic life and yes, particularly sharks which find these unspoiled waters specially attractive. In order to enter these waters you need to clear customs in San Andres a few days ride and have a special permit. Exploration permits as such are not currently being issued in Colombian waters and these areas are heavily patrolled due to the illicit drug routes that cross these keys and the 12 Guarda Marinas that reside in Cayo Faro do keep an eye for prospectors and non invited visitors so I would consider other less risky options if I might offer some free advice. Serranilla is a dangerous place for a modern pirate and Colombian jails are no picknick.

belizeanpirate

Greenie
Jul 2, 2009
Yo no creo que iba a tener problemas entrando alla. Mi esposa es colombiana y tengo dos hijos chiquitos quienes son ciudadanos tambien. Tampoco no iba a ir como un tonto con un monton de equipo advirtiendo que estuve haciendo. Iba a traer un panel solar con unas grabadoras de dvd recargables y un monton de peliculas de Stallone, Jacky Chan, Steven Seagal, Van Dame, Vin Diesel, y Cantinflas todos en Espáñol y con un monton de guaro y focas recargables con movimiento de la mano y otras cosa muy utiles para los infantes de marina alla. Cuando me paren y empiezan a joder, lo mas facil es calmarlos y hablar que se entienden todo, y irnos a la playa con los regalos para una fiestita. No creo que voy a descubrir el tesoro madre alla pero por lo menos yo no creo que iba a ser tan tonto de caerme preso. Iba a ser imposible que no lleagamos a algun entendimiento. Usted cree que con tantos oportunidades de aprovechar con los piratas de la cosa blanca que ellos son santos?

Usted es colombiano? Como es que conoces alla? Has ido mas que una vez? Y eres buceador?

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
Belizeanpirate, for the sake of the overwhelming majority of the members of this forum I’ll reply in English. My email is just a word of caution from somebody who has been there and who knows a bit about those specific keys and yes, I’m a Colombian national who does dive. If you insist and nevertheless do go there, have a great time. Buen viaje!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Belizeanpirate;
On this thread above, you can read my comments of a couple of years ago about my own experience in the "Sarahs". I agree with Panfilo: If for some reason you feel compelled to go there--without proper documentation--exercise extreme caution--and tell us or your experience upon your return.
Don.........

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would listed to Don’s and Panfilo’s advise.... but if you still decide to go please let us know how it went….Good luck!!!!

One day while having drinks in DR with Burt Webber and Lubos Kordak Burt told this story …..Back in the days Marx was conducting a survey operation in Serranilla and Burt was in the area at the same time….Both of them were trying to beat each other to the treasure….Marx found an old grave in one of the islands and told the authorities that a member of Burt’s crew was killed and buried in one of the islands…..he almost got Burt arrested. Later on the authorities realized it was a very old grave and Burt didn’t get arrested but Marx had Burt on hold for a while…..I believe they met again in a reunion in Frogfoot’s house Burt was really mad at Marx for the prank, Burt picked up a Spanish sword from Frogfoot’s display and so did Marx and they almost ended up in a sword fight….LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread