setting up for meteorites....

zander1013

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
hi,

may i suggest a way to set up a Garrett discrimination pattern to look for meteorites?

meteorites are mostly nickle/Iron alloy thus a custom discrimination mode that notches out all but O+ to 3+ is most efficacious to locate meteorites without distractions to other targets.

if i am in an area with meteorites this is what i do.

i have found one item that i believe to be a meteorite. its authentication is pending until i can send it to a lab. but the lab has informed me that the item "could be a meteorite" based on these images.

-zander

Attachments

• potosi with dime 003.JPG
    potosi with dime 003.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 347
    potosi with dime 003.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 344
  • potosi with dime 002.JPG
    potosi with dime 002.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 251
  • potosi with dime 001.JPG
    potosi with dime 001.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 245
    potosi with dime 003.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 409

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
zander1013 said:
hi,

may i suggest a way to set up a Garrett discrimination pattern to look for meteorites?

meteorites are mostly nickle/Iron alloy thus a custom discrimination mode that notches out all but O+ to 3+ is most efficacious to locate meteorites without distractions to other targets.

i have found one item that i believe to be a meteorite. its authentication is pending until i can send it to a lab. but the lab has informed me that the item "could be a meteorite" based on these images.

-zander
Yes sir it sure looks like a meteorite.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:..What state do you hunt in and what Garrett do you use?..........

OP
OP
Z

zander1013

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
Gadabout - Jim said:
zander1013 said:
hi,

-zander
Yes sir it sure looks like a meteorite.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:..What state do you hunt in and what Garrett do you use?..........

i found this item in southern nevada while using my garrett 2500 with 9in coil zero discrimination. she rings up 0+.

i was searching the abandon mining camps at the base of mt. potosi near las vegas. (the old lead mine.)

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tell a meteorite from something that only looks like a meteorite? A year and a half or so ago I found what I thought to be one and took it to a local museum. They weren't sure and asked me to send it off. You have to pay like a couple a hundred bucks if you send them off. A strong magnet will stick to it, the outside looks like it has a "thumb print" on it. It's extremely heavy for it's size. It beaped nickel on the Ace 250 and I found it where there was no other metals in the ground that looked like it. I did not find it on a beach. It met all the criteria that was on the web page for telling if it's a meteorite or not. But it's not official until it's official.

Thanks,
Ramapirate

gemhunter

Mar 11, 2006
BC Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium LS Whites GMT Ace 250 Ace 100 Sunray Probe Garrett Probe
OP
OP
Z

zander1013

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
OP
OP
Z

zander1013

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
Ramapirate said:
Can you tell a meteorite from something that only looks like a meteorite? A year and a half or so ago I found what I thought to be one and took it to a local museum. They weren't sure and asked me to send it off. You have to pay like a couple a hundred bucks if you send them off. A strong magnet will stick to it, the outside looks like it has a "thumb print" on it. It's extremely heavy for it's size. It beaped nickel on the Ace 250 and I found it where there was no other metals in the ground that looked like it. I did not find it on a beach. It met all the criteria that was on the web page for telling if it's a meteorite or not. But it's not official until it's official.

Thanks,
Ramapirate

i have a couple of meteorites that i have purchased. they ring up in the area that i mentioned on my 2500. 0+ to 3.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread