• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 490
Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
There are several cemetaries built around mounds, but this is the first time I've heard of burials on top of mounds... I guess we found the decendants of the original Intrusive Mound Culture. :)

I love seeing mounds, and some of the best preserved ones are indeed in cementaries.

Marrietta Ohio has a large mound in their cemetary which is famous because of the quantity of revolutionary war veterens buried there. There is another well known one in Romney West Virginia. There are a couple in Indiana, one in Tippecanoe County and one right off i-65 between Louisville and Indianapolis. And one in Racine Wisconsin, and a couple in Illinois that I haven't been to.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are accounts of Civil war soldiers digging several mounds here and around Chattanooga during down time. Thanks for the interesting Post and knowledgeable replies. :thumbsup:

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
very nice find and great thread,i have often observed indian mounds near cemetaries and since alot of these cemetaries were established in the 19th century i have wondered if maybe people in that era thought the mounds were sacred places and thought it would be a good place to start a cemetary or bury the dead?thx for sharing the pics.goodluck hunting :thumbsup:

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
I'd say it was more about getting the coffins to an elevated site so they didn't float.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions