Several eras of coins, bullet and trap from century old site

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
Folks,
Got to hit the century old place again today for a bit. Had very little to show for until the last 15 minutes when I found all of the coins and trap. I found the bullet a bit earlier in a different part of the field.
The IH's are toasted but I got dates for all of them: 1881 (oldest IH for me to date), 1907 and 1882. The wheat is a 1942 and the silver Rosie is a 1957.
I also found the bullet. Anyone know how old it might be and what gun it was used in? I don't know much about guns but the other side of the bullet is flattened so I know it was fired.
I also found a trap (I assume for muskrats) that was quite corroded and even still has the stick that held it to the bank. Any info. on this trap would be helpful, too. It rang up like a penny but I knew it was way bigger than that by the signal. I would have left the trap but it is clear from the condition of the trap that it was abandoned quite a while ago.
Lastly, I've included a picture of the section of grassy field where I found some Barber dimes in mid-April. Back then the grass was 6 inches high; today, it was over my head and I am 5'10".
Well, that's all for now. It was fun finding a variety of coins from different eras.
Peace,
T-man

Attachments

• Heads.jpg
    Heads.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 702
  • Tails.jpg
    Tails.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 700
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
The trap.

Attachments

• Trap.jpg
    Trap.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 718
OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
The field (perhaps you can see one of the cornfields beyond the tall grass).
T-man

Attachments

• Field.jpg
    Field.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 715
OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
If anyone can re-size some of the pictures and PM me how to do it in the future I'd be grateful.
T-man

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Sounds like you found a clothes line or front yard near the end. I kind of doubt a trap would be intentionally set near a home. Maybe that's just me.

Nice finds. Even toasted IHs are still IHs. Best IH I ever found would grade at least AU50, less than an inch deep, in front of the John Day, Oregon library (near their sign). Shocked me. IH's usually look bad in my neck-of-the-woods, but this one came out of the ground looking as good as when it was dropped: 1906, I think.

Not far away, a gold coin cache was partially found using that most advanced form of detecting: metal springs from an old mattress. Guy was cleaning out a root cellar, and throwing the dirt on the mattress when he started hearing ping. Looked. $5 & $10 gold pieces. Started looking more carefully then. <So would I.> Found around $40 face that I could document 100 years later. Supposed to be a portion of a $1200 cache.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conibear (?) trap. It kills the animal instead of grabbing its leg. Nice coins...better than I have done this year. Best of luck, Niffler

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can download Irfanview for FREE and use it to resize and crop your photos + it's very simple to use.

http://www.irfanview.com/

And nice digs.

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
niffler said:
Conibear (?) trap. It kills the animal instead of grabbing its leg. Nice coins...better than I have done this year. Best of luck, Niffler

Yep... 110 Conibear. Great for muskrats, mink, weasels, etc. I ran a small trap line as a kid back in the 70's. A large mink would bring
$100.00 to $125.00.

Slab

OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Sounds like you found a clothes line or front yard near the end. I kind of doubt a trap would be intentionally set near a home. Maybe that's just me.

The area was not residential, at least within the last 150 years, but has seen heavy use by visitors to the area right up to this time. The spot I found the coins in was a well-travelled spot; the IH's were all within a 5 foot square location.

Not far away, a gold coin cache was partially found using that most advanced form of detecting: metal springs from an old mattress. Guy was cleaning out a root cellar, and throwing the dirt on the mattress when he started hearing ping. Looked. $5 & $10 gold pieces. Started looking more carefully then. <So would I.> Found around $40 face that I could document 100 years later. Supposed to be a portion of a $1200 cache.

Tuberale, cool story on the gold cache!

that ground was hard on those ihs

Yeah, the combination of wet ground and especially fertilizer from the farm fields does all the coins in except the silver. I found a few IH's the other week in the woods which were in far better shape but still not nice. Fertilizer is a killer on those things.

You can download Irfanview for FREE and use it to resize and crop your photos + it's very simple to use.

http://www.irfanview.com/

And nice digs.

WIT, thanks for the info.

Yep... 110 Conibear. Great for muskrats, mink, weasels, etc. I ran a small trap line as a kid back in the 70's. A large mink would bring
$100.00 to $125.00.

Thanks for the ID, Slabman. My dad used to trap and he said it was a worthwhile venture back then because pelts were worth something. Times have changed.

slabman is right on the trap and this one dose not look very old or rusted maybe lost 1 or 2 years ago.

Favored Papa,
I'm not sure where you are from so you might not be able to answer this but aren't Conibears illegal in PA now (and have been for some time)? Makes me think it might be older than a year or two.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. It is a fun place to hunt. You never know what will turn up. I am still convinced, due to the nature of the people who came to the place, that there is a gold coin out there somewhere. At least I can believe that for motivation.
Peace and have a great day everyone,
T-man

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting finds! I checked info on the Conibear trap, it's not illegal for use in Pa., but it can only be set in a watercourse, (rivers, creeks, swamps, etc.) It's much more humane than the leghold, but trappers know that it doesn't kill instantly. It actually constricts the animal.
Large sizes for beaver, raccoon, etc, should not be set on dry land, to reduce non-target catches such as dogs.
That Conibear you found may even (by law) have the owner's info attached by a tag.
On a side note, I find it odd that snares have recently become legal for use here in Michigan.

ffd

OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Interesting finds! I checked info on the Conibear trap, it's not illegal for use in Pa., but it can only be set in a watercourse, (rivers, creeks, swamps, etc.) It's much more humane than the leghold, but trappers know that it doesn't kill instantly. It actually constricts the animal.
Large sizes for beaver, raccoon, etc, should not be set on dry land, to reduce non-target catches such as dogs.
That Conibear you found may even (by law) have the owner's info attached by a tag.
On a side note, I find it odd that snares have recently become legal for use here in Michigan.

FFD,
Yeah, there seems to be a wire where the person's name tag would have been attached but the tag is no longer there. I found a trap tag a few weeks ago and a guy here on T-net recognized it as one of his family's ancestors so I reunited the tag with the family. Pretty neat what can come together on a forum like this.
Thanks for the research.
T-man

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread