Sewing Basket Spill! 5 old buttons in one hole-can you tell me more about them?

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I just found these a couple hours ago. I was in my parents' yard - I have searched there many, many times before. I got a mixed, bouncing signal. I was nearly going to call it a day and hadn't found much of anything so I decided to dig it. I think I was down about 6 inches when the first two came out stuck together by the dirt.

I was thrilled!

Decided to give the hole a quick scan before I filled it in and had another good signal scooped and saw another. Scanned got another signal and scooped another, scanned the hole and didn't get any more signals but then scanned the dirt at the side of the hole and what do you know that was one more!

Can you give me any info on them? The bigger ones are about 20 mm diameter and the smaller ones about 17 mm.

One is shiny without a backmark - is this tombac? Two have backmarks of "Rich Gilt" "Standard" and pictures of maybe clovers, flowers and leaves..thistle maybe(?), one of the small ones has a backmark of "Imperial Standard". I don't think the other has a backmark.

Thanks!! ;D

jzy2s4.jpg

2w23lnt.jpg

Upvote 0

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was wondering where I dropped those. Those are the ones I found. Guess they fell out of my pocket. :laughing9:

Nice little treasure!

U

umrgolf

yes, the shiny one is a tombac.. all the buttons seem to be late 1700's-early 1800's.. I've found quite a few flat buttons like that but never all together in one hole. Nice recovery :icon_thumleft:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool!

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
umrgolf2010 said:
yes, the shiny one is a tombac.. all the buttons seem to be late 1700's-early 1800's.. I've found quite a few flat buttons like that but never all together in one hole. Nice recovery :icon_thumleft:
Right.
A cool find. WTG

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
flat buttons say 1780 -1820 rough era guessimate -- one tombac -- veery cool :thumbsup:

flower looks like a rose to me. :wink: 2 seem alike

extra rich gilt
standard
(rose)

OP
OP
Bramblefind

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Thanks everyone!

I have found very few buttons so this is exciting. Never found a tombac before and I am so happy I have now. It is really pretty.

That late 18th C - early 19C time period keeps coming up in the artifacts I find at this site. Fantastic!

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A button spill! Now thats sweet...

OP
OP
Bramblefind

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
ivan salis said:
flat buttons say 1780 -1820 rough era guessimate -- one tombac -- veery cool :thumbsup:

flower looks like a rose to me. :wink: 2 seem alike

extra rich gilt
standard
(rose)

It just occured to me - are these marks symbols?

Clover is a Shamrock - for Ireland

Rose - for England

Thistle - for Scotland

Seems obvious now :laughing7:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the usa prior to 1812--- used to import most of our buttons from england --lots of those "flat buttons" are from england -- the "tudor rose" from the royal british blood line :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions