Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: SEX & SILVER......

Mine's not that big (my stash, you all get your mind out of the gutter :D ). I probably won't sell until I can pay for a semester in college with it ($6K-$7K). Right now that is way above $50 and ounce.

HH.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston

It really depends how badly you need the money. Since the price has risen so much in the last 3 years, I would think it will continue to rise. NOT like it did in the 70's.
I feel it will hit $20/oz in the next year.
If you are getting the coins at face value, you have already done well. I just sold off some 40% halfs @ $30/roll.
What level do you think you will start selling your stash ?
HH Gayle

soldierman

May 18, 2006

I usually sell off my 40% everytime I acumulate $200 and the spot is about $14. I'll buy a couple of silver dollars out of it and the rest goes back into the searching fund. I think this time around I may save a little more and trade for a gold coin. Still thinking and watching hoping for that $20+ spot.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course

I'm in no need of money. Don't get me wrong, I could always use more. I use my Ebay money for CRHing. That way all the silver I save (face value) doesn't come out of the household budget. I am saving it for when I retire in about 7 years. I am speculating that the price will never go down, only up. Hopefully way up if all the indicators are right. Worst case scenario, a half will never be less than 50 cents. I also save all my detecting money. When I get enough, I buy a gold coin. 3 so far.

Oh, BTW, you did get my attention you evil girl LJ....LOL

SoCalMark

Dec 28, 2006
Inland Empire
Detector(s) used
MXT, Explorer II

I was in the coin shop the other day buying a few things and thinking about this same question. I am using my silver finds to buy gold. It's a lot easier to store for one thing and the price of silver as a rule follows gold up and down. Since I have already made a nice profit on sliver, is it wise to wait for the value to rise...the value of gold will rise too. I suppose if silver prices rise faster than gold (unlikely) it would be worth waiting. I am giving serious thought to cashing in at least 2 boxes of 40% halves (almost there) and buying a few more ounces of gold. The coin shop pays $1.50 and $4.00 for 40 & 90% respectively. Decisions...decisions, hmmm!

HH Mark

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA

I figure when this gets full
DSCN0884_edited.jpg

then I will have to sell off the 40%ers to make room for more 90's.
Actually been thinking about this since my budget gets strapped- 40's may go away soon for bankroll. HH Mark

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course

Yo Me_Co, you might think about bolting that safe down. Someone on a detecting site got robbed. They just took th ewhole safe. Something to think about.

Riverdog

Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID

Im saving mine for my boy, or an EOTWAWKI (end of the world as we know it) situation. I figure precious metals will always be sought after and be a medium of exchange. In the more likely event that my son just inherits it, it will make a nice bequest free from the IRS's notice. And finally, I just always wanted a treasure chest:) So, I guess I wont be selling my stash, such as it is.
Riverdog

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA

Yea I know- I carried it out of the store when I bought it, heavy but managable. Only reason I got it was to keep my X from spending every cent I made. Here's big brother but I don't have any dilusions of filling it haha.
HH Mark
DSCN0886_edited.jpg

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rsc said:
It really depends how badly you need the money. Since the price has risen so much in the last 3 years, I would think it will continue to rise. NOT like it did in the 70's.
I feel it will hit $20/oz in the next year.
If you are getting the coins at face value, you have already done well. I just sold off some 40% halfs @ $30/roll.
What level do you think you will start selling your stash ?
HH Gayle

Gayle - As of this moment, I have no plans of selling. When I started this hobby back in late January I said I was going to pass these along to my grandchildren. So as of now that is still my plan, but I am female...we can change our minds in a heartbeat....that's our prerogative right....ha! J/K

My husband has suggested selling and sticking the money in mutual funds or something. He feels the value will increase more rapidly, but he said it was my game so...do whatever I wanted. I think I will cling to them a little longer.... ;)

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston

I do think with the market in the shambles it is in now, the silver is the best investment you can make/have made. The market certainly can not make a 10 X profit any time soon, like you just did............ HANG IN THERE HH Gayle

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Riverdog said:
Im saving mine for my boy, or an EOTWAWKI (end of the world as we know it) situation. I figure precious metals will always be sought after and be a medium of exchange.

That's where I'm at, or a SHTF scenario.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007

That's the best question I've heard all day, LJ. :)

I sell my 40%ers whenever I have 100 to 200. With my 90%ers, it varies. That's all I'm willing to say, because I don't think a coin hunter should reveal all of his/her secrets. ;)

I no longer see precious metals as an investment, but rather as a store of value. If they turn out to be a good investment, that's just icing on the cake.

I will say this, though, the only thing I like more than silver is travel, and a decent chunk of my silver pays for my trips.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree on the "silver $ = travel $" fiatboy. My vacation weeks come in December and last year five days in San Diego was paid for by silver, with a nice chunk left over that could've paid for two more weeks there. I cashed in at about $12.50/oz in January and while it has crested in the mid-$14/oz range since then, I haven't seen it go any lower. A good sign.

But to answer your question LJ, I don't think I'm waiting for any specific silver value to trigger a cash-in, but $20/oz may be too tempting for me to resist.

BTW, was anybody else thinking that LJ had changed her avatar to something racier? ;D ;D ;D Great thread title my dear!

Fruitbat

Sep 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Immy said:
BTW, was anybody else thinking that LJ had changed her avatar to something racier? ;D ;D ;D

Yep, and I'm still hoping ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread