Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1915 S BARBER half
barber-f.jpg barber-b.jpg

My first CRH Barber find. I saw this thin dull silver stripe in a roll of clad and thought it is not a 40% because it was so thin. No way did I think Barber. Got it out of my weekly two boxes from _______ bank. Others from those boxes include 7 40% a chrome plated clad and a 2004D, 2007P, 2001D that I can barely read the date and can not see LIBERTY. Back side is fine.

Also had two hours to hit some banks so I drove over to some banks that have always been good to me and I had not been there in over a month. Only spent $148 but I got 42 IKEs and the rest in halves. One bank I got 4 rolls of halves. Took a peek when I got to my car 2 rolls were almost solid silver. They both had the same account number on the roll so I went back into the bank and asked for any more rolls that this person may have brought in. No luck halves only and I got all they had. Total from bank hunting 1 90% and 39 40%

This has been my best month so far at 209 halves my 2nd best was April at 147

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wahooooo......congrats CD. Excellent find!! Also, kudos on the month your having and you still have a couple a days left to build on it.

I am sure you were surprised to pull that baby out. You never really expect to find a Barber, but there is always that hope/wish and when you do...your still surprised.

If only that coin could talk. I am sure there are some stories to tell. WTG Dan.

Is that Barber toning some?

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I have to agree with everyone else- thas awesome! How can a coin like that just keep going through the system all these years without getting snatched up and melted (just kidding). I hope to find one as well one day- got a Ben already now I need a haircut too. BTW Ben was in a less then average count box also- kinda like givin the dog a bone- "I won't give up much silver but here chew on this awhile." HH Mark

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
That is fantastic!
What a great find!
Congratulations!!!

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lejeuene said:
Is that Barber toning some?
No, I think it is just old and dirty. It is not worth more than a 1964 JFK to I might clean and polish it. That old lady may have some life left in her.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinlover said:
nice find for 50 cents! and, worth about $12. 8)
My 2007 blue book (or is it black book?) shows $5 But I am not good at grading. I figuered it was the lowest quality.

coinlover

Oct 21, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
cyberdan said:
Coinlover said:
nice find for 50 cents! and, worth about $12. 8)
My 2007 blue book (or is it black book?) shows $5 But I am not good at grading. I figuered it was the lowest quality.
its the redbook, but the prices in the redbook are high. i'd say it would be worth $6.

oldred

Jan 21, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber
Great fine Dan! Those Barber half's are really nice to fine. So far I've been lucky to fine two. Congratulations on your monthly total!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread