SGS Graded coins on ebay

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Ok I see coins graded and slabbed with a buy it now on ebay. By SGS there mostly all modern coins.What I don't understand or maybe missing is why is it cheaper then going to SGS yourself?.There website state's prices (1) sumission $10.00,(10-99)$9.00.(100+)$8.50.But on ebay the prices are still cheaper then the $8.50.This may have been posted in the past so bare with me.Just would like some input.Thanks

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beware also some generic grading services will not mention on the slab if it's been cleaned/damaged/etc........ just a grade.

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
SGS is one of the worst self-slabbers out there. They put their cleaned or whizzed junk coins in high-grade holders and dump them off with huge profits to eBayer's that don't know any better...

-Paul

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinkid said:
SGS is one of the worst self-slabbers out there. They put their cleaned or whizzed junk coins in high-grade holders and dump them off with huge profits to eBayer's that don't know any better...

-Paul

Yep! as I stated above without any charastics.

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
RiverRat3 said:
Nicksan said:
I just sold some coins and found out that I got taken on Ebay. The only grading services I trust now are NGC and PCGS.

Check out whats in this link about sgs.

http://coins.about.com/od/coinbuyingadvice/qt/ebay_coin_fraud.htm
Thanks for posting the link. I just learned something. I love to collect coins but dont know much about some of the grading services.

Trust only the big four. PCGS, ICG, NGC and ANACS. Any others are total crap

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at a coin auction earlier this week. The slabbed coins (mostly pcgs) were going for reasonable prices. So I threw up a big $3.00 on a MS70 2006 quarter. Later when I inspected it I quickly found a nick on the neck and three more nicks under modest magnification. Yes, I made a bad buy, but it was a cheap lesson.

On the plus side I added some nice Franklin halves to my collection at less than melt.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
The only way one should buy from one of the non big four is if the value of the coin is greater than what it is graded. Meaning if they have silver quarters or whatever graded MS70 cause that is there only grade lol but I would just pay as if it weren't graded. I have had SGS graded coins of course MS70 they were in the slab crooked and everything else. Hope this helps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread