Shallow Water Scuba Diving and Metal Detecting

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
Hello all,

It's good to be back. I am considering becoming SCUBA certified soon so I can head down to Texas with my Garrett Sea Hunter after Spring Break. It's $195 to become certified except for the open-water portion, which I will need to complete at my destination, such as Texas, due to the cold water here in Missouri.

Questions: The SCUBA instructor mentioned that visibility is often a problem in shallow water near beaches. Does anyone have experience metal detecting in shallow water (say, 6'-14' of water)? Do you just metal detect when the sun is directly overhead to increase visibility? Do you use a light?
Why is visibility a problem in 13' of water but not, say, 45' of water, or does it depend on the bottom? Do you ever SCUBA dive alone in shallow water? Anybody up for a Spring Break shallow water SCUBA hunt in about 3 or so weeks?

Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
erikk said:
In case your instructor forgot to mention when you are diving at night stay in about 10-12 feet of water and if at all possible drag a real bloody fish attached to your weight belt. That way any large fish in the area will be sure to follow you and the sweeping action of their tails while they circle you will keep the water clear and greatly improve visibility so you will be able to detect and view your targets. Also it is a good idea to never check your air gauge while deep diving as it will just distract you and take your mind off your detecting which is much more important....... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Welcome Back ...I can hardly wait for the next chapter
HaHa! More Willy Wonka on the way.

More psychological experiments on the way. The student fails again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread