Shared our hobby

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Well, for the last two years, since I began this hobby, my friends have thought it was the funniest thing ever. They give me a hard time about it whenever I mention it, but over time, the volume and uniqueness of some of the things that I have found (which pales in comparison to what most of you come up with) have eventually caused some of their interest to be piqued. Yesterday, three of them were grilling me about how it all works, and I told them the only way to see if you like it is to get out there and dig some.

I firmly believe that millions more would join our hobby if they only knew how well detectors work. I think most people think it's like dowsing or something.

Well, one of my friends who was asking about metal detecting, in typical fiscally preposterous manner, asked me today what kind of detector he should buy. I replied that to buy one without trying it first would be moronic, so he should go hunting with me first. Plus he was going to get some kind of Field and Trail el crappo model from Dick's sporting goods, which would have been a true crime.

So, off we went to an old school in Birmingham that has been hunted like crazy for about 1000 years. I brought my DFX for him to try, knowing that it might be frustrating, because it is definitely not a beginner machine, but it was all we had since my backup Prizm II is still with my father in law.

After showing him the basics in the small playing field, I sent him off on his own. His first target was a nickel, which showed promise for his dedication, because it showed up on the LCD as of course, a pull tab. He quickly found a dime and another nickel to join the first. I could see the glimmer of treasure madness beginning to burn!

I walked up on him shortly after that to see that he had spread the dirt from a tiny hole over an area that was easily 40 feet square. After admonishing him for creating such a swath of terror, I asked him what he had found. He said he couldn't find it, so upon looking around, I said "Have you noticed that wristwatch sticking out of the largest clod of dirt you slung ten feet away?" He had found a Timex watch and somehow didn't see it. Can you believe that? A probably functional watch on his first day.

He found a penny a minute later, and I asked if it was a memorial or a wheat. He of course, had no clue what the difference was, so I explained. It was a memorial. I told him his first wheat would welcome him to the old coin club, but not to get too anxious. Naturally, after he dug his next coin, he says, "this one says one cent on the back, what is it?"

Not much of a listener, but he had dug a 1944 wheat penny fifteen minutes into his first hunt on a hammered site. After this, he was in, hook, line, and sinker.

It was about time to go, so we packed up, and I am pretty sure I now have a new hunting partner.

I recommended he get a few more hunts under his belt before he buys, but he may go ahead anyway. I recommended the Garrett Ace 250 because of the low price and the large amount of positive press it has gotten, plus Kellyco has a good deal on accessories with it.

It is always fun for me to get other people as excited as I am about treasure, so I thought I would relay the story.
Thanks for reading,
V

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
I'll just tell him that the age old metal detecting tradition is that whenever you dig anything, your friend punches you in the face. Maybe then he will give up quickly and save the few finds left for those already invested in the hobby.

No?

Ok, I guess we will just have to share the dirt with whatever new people come along and show interest, rather than milking it for all we are worth until we all die off.

I'm glad to see new people treasure hunting, and sharing the enjoyment I get out of the hobby with someone else is totally worth finding one less wheat penny.

V

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vthepresident said:
I'll just tell him that the age old metal detecting tradition is that whenever you dig anything, your friend punches you in the face.

I didn't know this tradition existed That's wonderful. Now I can punch rodeo in the face when he makes a good find. I will tell him that you told me to do it.

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
very cool, they can laugh all they want but once they swing and digg it's over

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread