Sheet in stream to catch gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever heard the stories about old timers stretching sheets across streams to catch fine gold dust? I have read it on several sites but now cant find any of them. Reason Im asking....just got off the phone with a guy that did something similar and caught just over an ounce of gold in 2 weeks. The guy then told me that his contact with USGS informed him that every 24 hours, $16,000 in suspended flour gold flows past the town that we live in. That price was in the 60's when gold was $30 an ounce. Allow me to adjust for current gold prices... Ready?...$541,560 EVERY 24 HOURS!! Now you see why I'm interested lol

Upvote 0

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
You dont want to use metalzorb with sand. If there is sand pan it or sluice it.

If it was me, I would get some large lawn/leaf bags and put a thin coating of vaseline. Blow them up, tie them off and anchor them to the bottom away from the channel. Leave them there a couple weeks, pull them up, let the air out, scrape off the vaseline and torch or burn off the vaseline. (Any gold that comes in contact with the vaseline will stick to it)

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome advice because there is ALOT of sand. So much so in fact, I am surprised that the USGS actually achieved an accurate estimate of the gold floating by. I will start 1st thing in the morning with the lawn bag experiment:)

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a bunch!!! The gentleman that told me about it seemed very genuine and I will absolutely look into that:)

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked at my usgs stream sediment and soil sample reports for Arkansas. There are a lot of locations with gold. Some near where the water use to run have decent deposits.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will look that up as well. I know how to pan and sluice but some of those charts are German to me though. I am across the river from Russellville but not sure what path this river used to take before the corp of engineers dammed it up in the 60's

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The screen shot below shows the locations of gold in Arkansas from USGS stream and soil sediment reports. The red/white flasks link to detailed reports showing PPM or PPB gold and all other metals, stream width and depth and a whole lot of other information. The black X's are gold mines.

Attachments

• arkansas-gold.png
    arkansas-gold.png
    426.3 KB · Views: 184
OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much!! Ive done alot of reading about the mines, and most articles elude to people salting areas in the 1800's to dupe investors. I have heard stories similar in my native Michigan as well so I am sometimes weary of gold mine sites, but the other locations look fairly promising if I'm reading the chart right:)

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will look up the specific info in a few, but thanks again and I hope I can decipher the info correctly lol

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The screen shot below shows a spot where the river use to run. The USGS report shows 293 ppb gold. You should be able to find the spot by the road shown in the pic.

Attachments

• arkansas-gold-2.png
    arkansas-gold-2.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 132
OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome!! Thanks so much for taking the time to teach me that. Tomarrow, Im gonna study the maps all around Russellville!!

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is where I live. Right by the restaurant indicator.

Attachments

• 1441070371424.jpg
    1441070371424.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And at the dam is where it was determined that $16k every 24 hours flowed past lol makes me want to cry every time I look at the river!!

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a million for taking the time for me chlsbrns. I know that you didnt have to, and I owe you a cold beer or a coffee if ever we meet:) I will follow your advice starting 6 a.m. tomarrow as I am done for the day, but I know when I lay down, I will dream of draining this river of its gold;)

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I breezed thru a few articles. You can also use vegetable oil (crisco). Its probably less expensive than petroleum jelly.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks a bunch!!! The gentleman that told me about it seemed very genuine and I will absolutely look into that:)
Not to discourage you but most teller of fish stories seem very genuine too. Do some testing and find out for yourself.

Also keep in mind that images on Google Earth usually run about 3-5 years old. Not bad for getting the lay of the land and finding old river beds, but sometimes new construction will throw ya for a loop.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldenIrishman I appreciate that but the guy dropped a mercury coated copper screen, and retrieved a little over an ounce in 2 weeks. I will definately conduct my own tests though:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread