Sheet in stream to catch gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever heard the stories about old timers stretching sheets across streams to catch fine gold dust? I have read it on several sites but now cant find any of them. Reason Im asking....just got off the phone with a guy that did something similar and caught just over an ounce of gold in 2 weeks. The guy then told me that his contact with USGS informed him that every 24 hours, $16,000 in suspended flour gold flows past the town that we live in. That price was in the 60's when gold was $30 an ounce. Allow me to adjust for current gold prices... Ready?...$541,560 EVERY 24 HOURS!! Now you see why I'm interested lol

Upvote 0

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
And chlsbrns I did tie off the plastic bag with vaseline and smeared a bunch on side and top of barge. That thing is 200' long. And I will definately look into the specifics of the sand and gravel plant on the other side of the river

You should find out if the sand and gravel plant is recovering gold, as they often do! Maybe you know an employee or manager who would let you know. Get as close as you can to the downstream side of the plant, and pan their effluent.

If you buy a TDS meter(total dissolved solids meter) you can measure the metallic ions flowing in a waterway at intervals and see where anomalys are, which would indicate a possible eroding gold deposit. Grid the creek out, in otherwords, and take your readings.

You can buy them at any wholesale swimming pool supplier, or maybe retail, or a scientific company catalog, like Edmonds.

A miliivolt meter can determine to conductivity between two points on the ground, to find metallic deposits. Its best to wet the ground first.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome idea. The owner is a cool guy. He said any time I need sand to test my sluice designs, feel free to get as much black sand as I need

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
You should find out if the sand and gravel plant is recovering gold, as they often do! Maybe you know an employee or manager who would let you know. Get as close as you can to the downstream side of the plant, and pan their effluent.

If you buy a TDS meter(total dissolved solids meter) you can measure the metallic ions flowing in a waterway at intervals and see where anomalys are, which would indicate a possible eroding gold deposit. Grid the creek out, in otherwords, and take your readings.

You can buy them at any wholesale swimming pool supplier, or maybe retail, or a scientific company catalog, like Edmonds.

A miliivolt meter can determine to conductivity between two points on the ground, to find metallic deposits. Its best to wet the ground first.

ohm meter.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
TDS shows ppm of DISSOLVED solids. Many things are dissolved in water even dissolved leaves from trees will be metered

A TSS or turbidity meter will show SUSPENDED solids.

Neither will tell you what it is that is dissolved or suspended in the water.

As I've previously suggested learn how to do the purple test! It will tell you if there is gold in the water, in soil or even in rotting drift wood.

As far as sluicing goes give it a try if you want but dont judge the performance of your sluices by the results you get sluicing in areas where gold is measured in ppb and is almost exclusively -200 mesh.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is an awesome idea. The owner is a cool guy. He said any time I need sand to test my sluice designs, feel free to get as much black sand as I need

Pounce on his offer. Good chance his black sands contain gold and surely worth checking!

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ever one seam to be arfraid of yusing mercry. Whin I waz a cid we uzded to luv rolling it roun in er hans.......an I stil norml...sumtims :tongue3:

Last edited:
OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lmao Trust me I am so tempted! But Id have 1000 liberals in my front yard crying about how Im killing tadpoles

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's not his plant but no reason why he can't do both if he chooses too.

He can buy equipment and shovel like a mad man going after tiny tiny gold that is measured in parts per billion and can also get gold with little effort using OLEOPHILIC ADHESION while carrying on with his usual life.

The most gold that I found in USGS reports was about 400 ppb most were 2 to 10 ppb. What tiny fraction of one gram of gold would that be per ton of shoveled sand? Assume that the equipment captures 100% of the gold and not just the small percent that will actually be captured?

Wouldnt 1,000,000 ppb be one gram of gold per ton of shoveled sand? (Assuming that 100% of the gold was captured instead of a fraction of 100%)

1 mg per kg is 1 ppm so 1 mg per 1000 kg (metric ton) is 1 ppb; 1000 mg (1 gram) per metric ton is 1000 ppb (not 1,000,000 ppb).

So 10 ppb would be 10 mg per metric ton or 0.01 g of gold in that ton of sand.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
1 mg per kg is 1 ppm so 1 mg per 1000 kg (metric ton) is 1 ppb; 1000 mg (1 gram) per metric ton is 1000 ppb (not 1,000,000 ppb).

I usually deal with ppm. Thats easy for me to figure out. Ppb confuses me. Thanks for the calculations!

How many tons at 10 ppb to get one gram of gold assuming a 100% recovery rate? 100 tons?

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

Wait a minute! One gram per ton is one ppm. 1,000 million = 1 billion. See ppb confuses the hell out of me!

Back to my previous question... How many tons at 10ppb to get one gram assuming 100% recovery?

Last edited:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were going to use a sheet, plastic bag, or burlap, coated with any kind of oil, wouldnt the easiest way to separate the oil from the gold be to use heated water? The gold would sink, and the oil would rise. after its cold, you can scrape off the oil.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were going to use a sheet, plastic bag, or burlap, coated with any kind of oil, wouldnt the easiest way to separate the oil from the gold be to use heated water? The gold would sink, and the oil would rise. after its cold, you can scrape off the oil.

You must cook a little:thumbsup:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wait a minute! One gram per ton is one ppm. 1,000 million = 1 billion. See ppb confuses the hell out of me!

Back to my previous question... How many tons at 10ppb to get one gram assuming 100% recovery?

100 tons

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
why not just go for gold in the ground? Seems easier to obtain after reading this thread.

TunnelRat

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't clay and other suspended particles also stick to the grease?

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to check on it this weekend. Not sure if any gold will be in it or not but the concept is that gold is hydrophobic as is the grease so they should adhere. Should lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread