Sheet in stream to catch gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever heard the stories about old timers stretching sheets across streams to catch fine gold dust? I have read it on several sites but now cant find any of them. Reason Im asking....just got off the phone with a guy that did something similar and caught just over an ounce of gold in 2 weeks. The guy then told me that his contact with USGS informed him that every 24 hours, $16,000 in suspended flour gold flows past the town that we live in. That price was in the 60's when gold was $30 an ounce. Allow me to adjust for current gold prices... Ready?...$541,560 EVERY 24 HOURS!! Now you see why I'm interested lol

Upvote 0

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have to check cause I dont remember but I think the ash/carbon may affect the flux.

Line a bucket with vaseline, add water, put the ashes in and swirl it around into a vortex for a couple minutes would be one way.

A flocculant for metals could also be swirled in a bucket of water.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since the end is smelting, I rather imagine that like charcoal.zinc.etc the materiel is burned off duing the smelting process. Course there are other methods of recovery but they may be more expensive and complicated.

Yas I know, there are ways of strippin the Zinc, charcoal

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not his plant but no reason why he can't do both if he chooses too.

He can buy equipment and shovel like a mad man going after tiny tiny gold that is measured in parts per billion and can also get gold with little effort using OLEOPHILIC ADHESION while carrying on with his usual life.
You don't shovel into a rag plant either... It sits there as all of the gravel separates and the sand goes through it. Then once a year or more depending on your gold amounts, you clean it out. I'm just talking about a lot more gold that I can sit around and wait up to a year for.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sense. I wish I did own a sand/gravel plant. Ive heard that plants in gold bearing areas do just as good with gold as they do selling sand:)

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
You don't shovel into a rag plant either... It sits there as all of the gravel separates and the sand goes through it. Then once a year or more depending on your gold amounts, you clean it out. I'm just talking about a lot more gold that I can sit around and wait up to a year for.

I was thinking more conventional equipment not a rag plant because he already implied that he didnt own the sand/gravel plant. Even at 400ppb it would be over 2,000,000 tons of sand to get a gram of gold. I did that in my head and surely off. Its probably more.

The amount of gold that he originally posted about seems like a lot but there is a whole lot of water flowing. No matter what he does he is going to miss 99.99% of it. What he does have going for him is that the longer his vasoline is in the water the more gold it will collect.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I panned the dust that I swept off of the barge, and 1/3 of it was black sand, and could see a bunch of tiny almost microscopic gold specs

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool design and seems to work well, but the gold here has been pummeled and pulverized all the way from Colorado, down the Arkansas river

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Im all for fluid beds! They work great but do not capture suspended gold. Gold starts to suspend at about 74 microns. 50 micron gold is barely visible to the eye of someone with good vision. I would bet that most of tje gold flowing in the river is less than 50 microns. Conventional methods will not capture it.

Mining companies use froth flotation and such to get the tiny stuff. Why? Because they have too!

Im assuming that reptwar1 wants to do something similar to what he was told was done with mercury. Something that doesnt require a whole lot of time. He can use vasoline and other safe oils instead of mercury. The oils would actually work better than mercury. Once the mercury gets fouled it will stop collecting gold.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
reptwar: I have thought of doing the same thing, but then after
considering it for awhile decided against it. Just didn't make sense.

Yes, you could place a wide, fluid bed sluice in the river and let
it sit there and hope to collect some gold. Better option is to
get out there and prospect the area well, and then use common
methods (sluice, etc) to capture the gold.

This way, rather than wait for random flypoop to flow by, you
can target the best of the gold bearing areas and come out
much better. Plus, you don't have to worry about your sluice
getting buried, or worse yet, blown out (and lost) when high
water hits.

Also, do you know there is an EDIT feature on each of your
posts? You often post multiple times, but maybe a minute apart..:dontknow:
All you need to do is hit "EDIT", and then add your new comments
to your previous post. It's frustrating reading one-liners that
are posted one after the other, and seconds apart. Just sayin'..8-)

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies dizzygigger. My only problem with conventional prospecting, is the fact that the gold is so small. Although there is a guy that did decent with a gold cube nearly 70 miles upriver. I have a few spots where I can run a 20 ft span of something covered in vaseline lol In Michigan, we had orange plastic fence that came on rolls with 4" holes everywhere which would ease some of the rivers resistance. Not sure if I can find it here in Arkansas though. I will try to find something that I can cover in vaseline though. I also wonder how long the vaseline will stay on the fence. And is the gold riding surface tension, or suspended yet submerged?....

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Something that doesn't require a whole lot of time. He can use Vaseline and other safe
oils instead of mercury. The oils would actually work better than mercury. Once the mercury
gets fouled it will stop collecting gold.

Vaseline and oil? Have you ever tried this?

Sounds like one big oil slick to me, plus you'll need a solvent to remove the
oil from the gold. Not to mention that the oil will float the gold right out of the sluice..:icon_scratch:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about sticky plants like hemp or Gorse then burn them to get the gold
Selective attachment processes in ancient gold ore beneficiation
Gorse is in the same family as scotch broom, but with thorns it grows wild up the eastern seaboard. (and the west coast)
"Pliny said Gorse was used in the collection of gold. The plant was put on stream beds to catch any gold-dust brought down by the current."
Ulex europaeus
I'm sure you can get all you want from the hippy conservationists eradication program
you might even get a grant for a study using invasive weeds to remove heavy metals

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions