shell cup/dipper (black drink)

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several examples some in better form than this 1 of cups and dippers made from shell. . this appears to be definitely (tea stained) in coastal areas of florida there is a plant called yaupon holly that is 1 of the only plants in north america to have natural caffeine. the leaves were roasted and steeped in water much the same way we do coffee. it was a trade item from my area most likely 4 chirt among other things since it does not occur naturally here in any abundance. looks like you can see right where the lips were placed on this 1. reminds me of my favorite coffee cup.

ForumRunner_20120703_075202.png

ForumRunner_20120703_075332.png

ForumRunner_20120703_075428.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Harry.... something had me curious. didn't seem quite right. I just went back and went through alot I mean alot.. of threads started by you and posts made by you.. and not 1 of them shows you physically holding anything. in fact everytime you reefer to something that you " found" it is a picture downloaded from a website. how do you explain that?

Ho-hum. When the facts don't support your position, switch to a personal attack. Show us your evidence.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all anyone has to do is look at your history. you showed us the evidence and not one thing more. this is not an attack by any means. just an observation.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im close arent I?

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Cultivars (I guess that's the term) of Ilex V. are found in any home depot in central fl and I bet much furthur south. I see dwarf ilex at fast food places and around malls, city plantings... Few people know what it is besides a nice bush. There, I said nice bush.
I've prepared and drank this stuff many times, usually picking it while out hunting stuff. Lately I've been drinking red mangrove tea boom.
cassina.jpg

ilex.jpg

I like a bigger cup for my coffee/Ilex/Sofke
shellbowl3.jpg

shellbowl2.jpg

The shell cups I've found look like all three shown in this thread. Could have been used for cups or any other reason for a little bowl with a handle.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you very much for adding I was getting tired out...ha ha.... you said bush

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow.. that thing is huge. ........ don't even go there.lol.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Cultivars (I guess that's the term) of Ilex V. are found in any home depot in central fl and I bet much furthur south. I see dwarf ilex at fast food places and around malls, city plantings... Few people know what it is besides a nice bush. There, I said nice bush.
I've prepared and drank this stuff many times, usually picking it while out hunting stuff. Lately I've been drinking red mangrove tea boom.

I like a bigger cup for my coffee/Ilex/Sofke

The shell cups I've found look like all three shown in this thread. Could have been used for cups or any other reason for a little bowl with a handle.

You're right about the cultivars, Tom. But, we weren't talking about recent, human-induced variants of the native tree. We were talking about the native range of Ilex vomitoria in prehistoric and contact periods, spread by birds and many small mammals.

I've never tasted Ilex tea . . . I read that it tastes like common green tea. Can you confirm? I understand that the berries are slightly toxic.

Here's what Wikipedia says about cultivars of Ilex vomitoria:
Ilex vomitoria is a common landscape plant in the Southeastern United States. The most common cultivars are slow-growing shrubs popular for their dense, evergreen foliage and their adaptability to pruning into hedges of various shapes. These include:

• 'Folsom Weeping' – weeping cultivar
  • 'Grey's Littleleaf'/'Grey's Weeping' – weeping cultivar
  • 'Nana'/'Compacta' – dwarf female clone usually remaining below 1 m in height.
  • 'Pride of Houston' – female clone similar to type but featuring improvements in form, fruiting, and foliage.
  • 'Schilling's Dwarf'/'Stokes Dwarf' – dwarf male clone that grows no more than 0.6 m tall and 1.2 m wide.[SUP][[/SUP]

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm serious harry..
post 1 single item of yourself physically holding anything. 1 of you in the field anywhere. I believe you have a brilliant mind but I also believe you're a hoax. never have you posted anything of yourself anywhere. anything you ever post is hey download from computer website. even the things you say you found. are you autistic

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alwayslearning, rules ..."Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone."

If the attacks continue I will lock this thread...........

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Ilex does taste like green tea, when made somewhat dilute. With sugar it just tastes like tea from Big Lots, hahahaha "Tastes like chicken".
The trick with Ilex is in the roasting, as in coffee and something similar? in black tea. I might even liken it to Mate, though not as strong.
I think I've seen every single one of those cultivars in yards and all over. I've never seen the map and that whole area is/was my haunts.
Most native ilex I've seen was up near Gainesville, it's thick all around Newnan's Lake. I definitely have seen where they get much more common just North of Tampa Bay and northward. Once we actually went to harvest a bunch and we had to drive up to N. Hillsborough and Pasco Counties to find stands of it. When it occurs it seems is not a solitary plant it occurs in areas/groupings as do a lot of the old native goodies

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to pick some today at newnans lake, boil it up and ifn I dont die from it I'll let you know how it tastes! <;)((((((><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread