shell cup/dipper (black drink)

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several examples some in better form than this 1 of cups and dippers made from shell. . this appears to be definitely (tea stained) in coastal areas of florida there is a plant called yaupon holly that is 1 of the only plants in north america to have natural caffeine. the leaves were roasted and steeped in water much the same way we do coffee. it was a trade item from my area most likely 4 chirt among other things since it does not occur naturally here in any abundance. looks like you can see right where the lips were placed on this 1. reminds me of my favorite coffee cup.

ForumRunner_20120703_075202.png

ForumRunner_20120703_075332.png

ForumRunner_20120703_075428.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ha ha.... nice!!!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Looks like asphaltum!:laughing7:

Tea stains are improbable in this case; but, native Americans did drink a lot of 'cacina' or 'black drink.' (Some argue that black drink may have been a different brew with other herbals.)

Ilex vomitoria, from which cacina was brewed, grows on the Coastal Plain from Virginia to Southcentral Texas. It is not native to South Florida.

Here's an interesting account of the use of Ilex vomitoria, including recipes.
(It seems that the trivial name, vomitoria, is a misnomer.)

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also agree with you that tea stains are unlikely as well as unprobable. if they were either it would be just another dipper

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
please don't take this as argumentative just healthy debate. just seems that you could make use of the prefix ( I don't think)

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool artifact for sure. I have never seen one. Thanks for the view.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you got it...

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I have several examples some in better form than this 1 of cups and dippers made from shell. most of which have midden patina and or root marks among other stains. this 1 however appears to be definitely (tea stained) in coastal areas of florida there is a plant called yaupon holly that is 1 of the only plants in north america to have natural caffeine. the leaves were roasted and steeped in water much the same way we do coffee. it was a trade item from my area most likely 4 chirt among other things since it does not occur naturally here in any abundance. looks like you can see right where the lips were placed on this 1. reminds me of my favorite coffee cup.

You're making up stories again. The native range of the yaupon holly (Ilex vomitoria) does not extend into South Florida. I wish you wouldn't do that kind of storytelling . . . just a little research could have avoided this.

Range of Ilex vomitoria in red: Ilex_range_Florida.JPG

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
harry... the brazilian pepper tree is not native either. yet we are covered up with them. I personally know where are several of those hollys are growing as we speak. what makes you think that no 1 could figure out how to plant a seed. or even drop a few for that matter. I appreciate your wide range of knowledge but I believe sometimes you're not seeing the forest through the books

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you're contradicting yourself now too.. look at the map you posted after making the statement they grow from virginia to south central texas

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice.. I have 1 like that with the roll of the distal end left intact like a handle.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
harry... the brazilian pepper tree is not native either. yet we are covered up with them. I personally know where are several of those hollys are growing as we speak. what makes you think that no 1 could figure out how to plant a seed. or even drop a few for that matter. I appreciate your wide range of knowledge but I believe sometimes you're not seeing the forest through the books

This is what happens when you make up stories . . . you have to make up more stories - invent new imaginative details - to explain away the improbabilities of the original.

"Native range" is just that. It is the natural range in which a plant or animal is adapted to the local conditions. That is, the local conditions are suitable for the habitus of the lifeform. Given the opportunity, lifeforms spread to the limits of suitable conditions, and no further. Native Ilex and non-native brazilian peppers both had an opportunity. Ilex didn't spread to South Florida, and brazilian peppers didn't spread to North Florida. Get it?

Apparently books are as alien to you as brazilian peppers are to South Florida. Instead of books, try using Google or another search engine.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my god you are so smug... if you would study a little more you would find that there are several types of holly with exactly the same qualities native to my area. you could just go to the savannas preserve if you like they have them labeled with nice little signs in the ground. you have got yourself stuck on 1 word or scientific categorization.. must you be so anal. didn't get along well with others as you grew up did you. personally I don't need to define the material my shoelaces are made of before I can tie them. now before I get rude I will bid you good day

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just so you know.. I used the yaupon holly as an example nothing more. if I wanted to get into a discussion on the types of holly in my area I would have started my post with that. I really think you should get out more. and as if that is enough.. people landscape their yards with them here. they make a nice shrub

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Newnan man I just wanted to say you called it!!! right from the beginning..ha ha ha... jeeese

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry.... something had me curious. didn't seem quite right. I just went back and went through alot I mean alot.. of threads started by you and posts made by you.. and not 1 of them shows you physically holding anything. in fact everytime you reefer to something that you " found" it is a picture downloaded from a website. how do you explain that?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently books are as alien to you as brazilian peppers are to South Florida. Instead of books, try using Google or another search engine.

Harry,

Please stop talking down to members, it is against the rules here............

"Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone" TreasureNet - Rules

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread