Shield Nickle No Ray

ddjames

Aug 30, 2009
Rural Palmyra, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites V3i, Whites TRX pinpointer, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful day here in Iowa after a stressful week at work, so I took the day off an headed to a site that is near where I live. I have had permission to hunt this old farm homestead but the grass had been over grown and I was waiting for the cows to work it down and they had, and the farmer moved the cows off. So off I went with the dog. Found 3 old spoons, the top tine part of a fork and an old pocket knife that was in bad shape and missing the blades. What made me do the happy dance is the oldest find I have made so far an 1869 Shield Nickle. Wooo hooo. I have yet to find a Buffalo or a Barber but I am not complaining.
Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_8992.jpg
    IMG_8992.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_8989.jpg
    IMG_8989.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 437
Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find, congradulations.....

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shields are hard to find, and thats a sweet one. Big congrats! :thumbsup:

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice recovery,and good shape for a shield...sounds like your having a blast ;D,Congrats Soup

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, they usually come out all beat up and destroyed in this corner of the U.S. so congrats on snagging a nice one :occasion14:

Digger62918

Sep 28, 2009
Carterville, IL.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-70 Pro , Fisher CZ-20 , Minelab Explorer SE
Gorgeous Shield Nickle! You have lots of details still on the coin, I'm sure it will clean up nicely. I have found two this year and they are both pretty much toast. Congrats on a tough find!

OP
OP
ddjames

ddjames

Aug 30, 2009
Rural Palmyra, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites V3i, Whites TRX pinpointer, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any suggestions on cleaning that won't damage it? I just used a little dawn and warm water with a soft toothbrush. I would hate to damage it. I was just going to leave it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread