Shim n Wedges, Pin and Feathers, Masons Wedges

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I'm working in dolostone and its not very forgiving. I have a bulldog extreme max 1" hammer drill and Ive been drilling 3/4" holes and using 5 sets of 3/4" Pin n Feathers. I'd like to increase the amount of rock that I can break off at once. Last chunk was only about the size of a basketball. When it comes to shim n wedges, how much does size matter? I'd like to be able to pop 2' x 2' x 3' or 4' blocks off at a time. I know thats not gonna happen with only 5 sets. Realistically what would I need to get to break off that much at a time? I've also read about capping the rock in a forum and that its faster and easier. I can't find anything else on capping. What tools does it require and a video would be awesome. Any help would be awesome. Thanx guys. Jason

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I think I've seen every youtube video on pin n feathers. Breaking ledge and boulders are 2 different things. The boulders have room for the energy to be released where the ledge is all locked in tight by more ledge. I hate to say it but I think I need bigger shim n wedges and a lot more of them and a lot deeper holes too. $$$ go bye bye.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These guys don't even use the feathers

[video=vimeo;18325070]http://vimeo.com/18325070[/video]

Somewhere there was a video about expansive concrete. Pour it in the holes and it expands to break the rock.

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
dexpan, I like the looks of it and I could break up a lot of rock in one day but i dont think it would be cost effective for me. I'm gonna look into it though. It might just be the ticket.

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
TOBEX, C4 (altho not good for pushing,, will shatter rock very well) TNT, RDX, PETN,, and all can be found.. OO Big brother just called.. ya m8 yourt gonna need to use gravity to move the big stuff... got a picture of the rock in question? it'll give me an idea.

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I'll try to get you a quick video tomorrow. Gravity is working against me in this case. The whole mine is full of claims on a hilltop. Basically you rope off an area and start going straight down. Deepest hole I've heard of from there so far is 30ft. I still have a ways to go. I'm at the 7ft to 8ft level right now. No explosives. family enviroment type of a mine.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm working in dolostone and its not very forgiving. I have a bulldog extreme max 1" hammer drill and Ive been drilling 3/4" holes and using 5 sets of 3/4" Pin n Feathers. I'd like to increase the amount of rock that I can break off at once. Last chunk was only about the size of a basketball. When it comes to shim n wedges, how much does size matter? I'd like to be able to pop 2' x 2' x 3' or 4' blocks off at a time. I know thats not gonna happen with only 5 sets. Realistically what would I need to get to break off that much at a time? I've also read about capping the rock in a forum and that its faster and easier. I can't find anything else on capping. What tools does it require and a video would be awesome. Any help would be awesome. Thanx guys. Jason

bigger wedge feather leave every other hole open, 11/2 holes 18 inches deep ? 6 to 10 inch apart should produce good cracks. you will still have to do a lot of hand work.use the rock wedges also.
I have only used betanomite type cracking agent i dug a hole 30 foot or so in solid granite , same principal you drill releif holes gives it somewhere to crack, same as wedge feather,
good luck

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I'm gonna try a couple things this year. First I gotta find the 1 1/2" drill bit that'll fit my 1" Bosch Bulldog. Then as you suggested with the bigger pin n feather. I never heard of leaving the holes in between open, might have to give it a whirl. Next they have ecoblast at my local hardware. Same thing as dexpan. 11lbs for $35. A lot cheaper then I was expecting. I read that you need the 1 1/2" holes for best results with that so I want to give it the best chance to possible to work for me. Drill the holes deep and tight and see what it can do. I'd like to be able to drill 2ft deep holes if possible. This rock is as tough as it comes. Same stuff they use for crushed gravel for driveways. Still gotta get a video of the stone and how tight it is.

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
very naice! be carefull and give it a place to exit to.. << ex EOD so if you need a pattern lemme know!

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm gonna try a couple things this year. First I gotta find the 1 1/2" drill bit that'll fit my 1" Bosch Bulldog. Then as you suggested with the bigger pin n feather. I never heard of leaving the holes in between open, might have to give it a whirl. Next they have ecoblast at my local hardware. Same thing as dexpan. 11lbs for $35. A lot cheaper then I was expecting. I read that you need the 1 1/2" holes for best results with that so I want to give it the best chance to possible to work for me. Drill the holes deep and tight and see what it can do. I'd like to be able to drill 2ft deep holes if possible. This rock is as tough as it comes. Same stuff they use for crushed gravel for driveways. Still gotta get a video of the stone and how tight it is.

I had my best results 18 deep about 10 inch apart lots of relief holes will aid in getting some good cracks going, as for hardness, deeper you get the harder it gets. you should try all hand work then you will know mining.
be careful and good luck, be nice to see some of those doubles............
good luck...........

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I sent a job site description to the ecobust website and got a reply back. I would only be able to fill abou 6 holes with an 11lb bucket of ecobust. Not worth the price for what I'm doing so I'm gonna abandon that idea and start working towards getting a dozen sets of 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" pin n feathers. Cheapest I've found so far though is $30 a set. Probably around $400 with the shipping. Anyone know where I can get them cheaper then trow n holden? Currently for me to drill a 3/4" hole around 10"-12" deep takes about 4 or 5 minutes. I'm really interested in trying to speed my drill time up a bit to make the pin and feathers work for me at a faster rate. What do you guys reccomend for a good higher speed drill and drill bit combo? I'm looking at trying to drill 24" holes to increase the possibility of breaking off larger chunks at a rip. I really want to turn this into more then a part time hobby and I'm looking for some info on serious mining equipment. Mainly anything that can be run off a generator or an air compressor. Hydraulics is something I'll look into when I start to really turn a profit at what I'm doing. As far as hand tools go, thats how I got started, Right now my favorite weapon is a 2 1/2lb sledge and a good masons chisel. Waking up with my hand, arm and elbow tingling and my shoulder feeling like its about to pop is just starting to get a little old and I've only been hand mining for 3 years. Just started getting power tools this year. Here's a video on one of my best pieces so far this year. If you wanna see more I have a facebook group for most of my herkimer diamonds. Herkimer Diamonds Direct From The Miner.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen some Mexican quarry guys fashion wedges & shims out of old truck leaf springs found at a salvage yard. Thats a way you could save cash, but the pro's in the quarry biz buy from Trow & Holden in Vemont. I've resold their product a few times and when you want to find out the best way to bust rock w/o explosives, these are the guys you should contact. They've been in the quarry tool biz a long time and they'll answer your question on the phone. Rock Cutting Tools Marble Cutting Chisel Stone Carving Tool

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capping rock:

Capping - UkCaving

I hadn't heard that term so went digging {rimshot}. Letme startoff by saying, don't try any of these at home, I can't believe how these people put their bodies in harms way.

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=11865.0
http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=j3upbqsh1t3k420hnmlt4e4fc0&topic=10997.0Capping - UkCaving

If the rocks flying at the guy's crotch in the next video don't give you the shivers, look where these dude's hand and face are at times in relation to the rod with a live hole!

I can see this being a useful technique for those with large boulders to move. And maybe a technique/shot pattern could be developed for rock face, but if the face doesn't give where is the force directed and what is going to happen to that firing pin?

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I dont think she would allow me to use the capping method and I'm accident prone enough without increasing the danger level around me. I've grown pretty attached to all my bits n pieces and dont wanna chance blowing something useful clean off my body ya know!!

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think she would allow me to use the capping method and I'm accident prone enough without increasing the danger level around me. I've grown pretty attached to all my bits n pieces and dont wanna chance blowing something useful clean off my body ya know!!
Ok, I just stopped by a thread I hadn't been following and found this post by Red James cash. Actually, at lunch I went and looked at Home Depot to see if you could even buy the Ramset cartridges anymore and was impressed by how little the guns weighed. Naturally, they're only firing nails into wood or concrete, but I was expecting a bit more mass. I'm less leery of the entire operation and having seen this from Red's post, it seems you could either get this, or build a system yourself.

ezebreak - Makers of Micro-Blaster, a compact and affordable system to crack rock and masonry, is safe and easy to use.

mb_ii_3_head400.jpg

Found this thread over on gpex.ca
eze break micro blaster
Where someone linked a 12g shotgun shell system
Boulder Buster: Solution for Breaking Rock, Boulders & Concrete
20.jpg

And that gpex thread had this doc as an attachment
Warning - PDF
A COMPARISON OF NON-EXPLOSIVE ROCK BREAKING TECHNIQUES.pdf

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I was checking those out too. I just keep picturing crystals being destroyed from the blast. It looks like a lot of fun too!!

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love explosives, but most don't have the training to use them right.. so once again with a 2 mile standoff (accurate to 2 miles) my favorite new mining tool is :

M61_Vulcan_Cannon_by_Mydin.jpg

hehe..

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was checking those out too. I just keep picturing crystals being destroyed from the blast. It looks like a lot of fun too!!
I went back and reread the thread because I completely missed the crystal part.

Crystals.
Digging straight down into the hill.

How are you drilling a bunch of deep 3/4 to 1-1/4" holes and splitting out a 2x2x3' block straight down and not breaking crystals with the drill?

How do you get the block out?

Are the crystals in a seam that you're trying to get to so you're just removing overburden or are they random pockets?

I'm missing something.

- Wedges, 20' 1/2" rebar. Grind in wedge on 2 sides then cut off length. Bonus point for making a Gingery forge and pounding to shape.
- Natural forces, frozen water. Drill holes, drop in slice of dry ice, fill with water.
- Capping method to remove smaller chunks with shallower holes. This is if you are sneaking up on random pockets. Much like this micro-blaster video

Keeping in mind that microblaster charge is like 2" long. Even the ball busting shot was 2 caps. That in the cave boulder shot was only 1 cap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread