Ship Bell Found

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
This Bell was never!... ever!... but a small river bell from...the Tifan River...Which transported slaves to the coast for further shipments to the West Indies!

If we "end this", it should be with with some certitude, finality and true resolution. I don't want this to end like Seinfeld or Lost. At this point, after 23 pages it might be good idea for someone who is knowledgeable to post a decent synopsis that lays out what we know, what we don't know and the more plausible theories. As for the dimensions of the bell, I have to disagree with Xaos a little bit. The size seems to preclude if from being a primary ship's bell, which opens up a lot of other possibilities. It could have been cargo, a personal possession, gift, commissioned piece, a dinner bell as someone suggested, etc. Without an accurate dating, it could turn out to be something that doesn't have anything to do with ships or shipwrecks, and just ended up where it was found like the "Lost Winchester" in Nevada.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM, not sure what you are disagreeing with??

As far as I know, Skream has never provided the size.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I saw that post from Salvor6. Eight inches high by five inches wide across the base is really quite small. It would be nice if Skream1 would confirm or deny that. It would probably help to narrow down the speculation if those dimensions are accurate.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now... the size finally.

This changes everything.

I did "bow out" on this thread.

Skream1

Apr 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
n/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you; the adventure is continuing, but I need to be able to research what I have without destroying the provenance(encrustation)

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Thank you; the adventure is continuing, but I need to be able to research what I have without destroying the provenance(encrustation)

But, as Doubter in MD posited, can you confirm or deny the dimensions of the bell that have been posted here by Salvor6? Doing so will in no way have an effect on provenance, encrustation or otherwise.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok Skream1. I'm calling you out. You didn't start this thread but you started another one sans the photo so you obviously want feedback. Why won't you share the size of the bell? As MiddenMonster pointed out, it can't hurt and realistically it would likely help.

There are a LOT of people with a wealth of experience on this site. Knowing the size of the bell would help them to properly focus speculation on its origins and possible use.

Last edited:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Skream1. I'm calling you out. You didn't start this thread but you started another one sans the photo so you obviously want feedback. Why won't you share the size of the bell? As MiddenMonster pointed out, it can't hurt and realistically it would likely help.

There are a LOT of people with a wealth of experience on this site. Knowing the size of the bell would help them to properly focus speculation on its origins and possible use.

Been there, done that.....

See ya.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be nice if this "dead thread" could be resurrected... it is obviously still in limbo... and is no further along than when it started... an eon ago it feels like now... tis a shame.

I personally spent a great deal of time researching this for not.

Which makes it for me... no longer a shame... but lame.

It is what it is. :)

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
It would be nice if this "dead thread" could be resurrected... it is obviously still in limbo... and is no further along than when it started... an eon ago it feels like now... tis a shame.

Agree. I also find it interesting that we hit radio silence when an innocuous question that required a simple "Yes" or "No" answer was presented to the finder of the bell.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
So the bell is dead?

The bell is dead! Long live the bell!

The last post here by Skream1 was on June 7th, though he has been on as recently as July 27th. So maybe, as the French say, there is as much to be told by the space between the notes as the notes themselves. Thelonious Monk sure thought so...

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the space between the notes?

from a dinner bell?

sorry.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
meaning, found something valuable and is gone..or found nothing and is gone?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread