Ship detection

catman

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I just moved into a home on the river near a large navigable port. Huge sea-going ships come and go almost everyday. We love watching these huge vessels, but we miss some while doing chores or by just not looking that way at the right time. The distance to the ships from our house is probably about 2000-3000 feet. We are looking for some sort of metal detection solution that will alert us with a light, beep or both when a ship passes by. Any ideas?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the type of metal detectors we use would help you, ours are pretty much set to detect "coin" size objects at about a foot or less, and slightly larger objects at a deeper distance.
2000-3000 feet would be slightly out of range, maybe some sort of radar would be more helpful.
Have you talked to the river, or harbor master or neighbors to see what kind if schedule the ships sail on?
It sounds like a beautiful place to live, enjoy!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have a beautiful location. A simple laser device may suit your needs. The problem would be setting desired distance. Once set, any closer object that crosses beam will also notify you. Good luck in your search.
Peace

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All large sea going vessels have active radar in use, even as entering port facilities. Have you thought about using a simple radar detector? Not sure what band they would use, but many of the consumer detectors are designed for a fairly broad band. Just a thought.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
trail cam: hang on a pole about 75 feet from the shipping lane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread