Shipping cell phone and computer batteries

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT PRO, and Garrett Pro Pointer. Hope to one day be good enough to justify buying a Whites V3Xi.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I work for USPS and things are changing as far as restrictions on batteries.

Last week we got word that lithium batteries cannot be shipped internationally at all, and domestically ONLY if the battery is installed in the item it is made for.

The way we are interpreting it is that you can ship a cel phone battery ONLY if it is in the phone, and undamaged of course.

As a general rule though we try to discourage people from shipping batteries in the mail.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I guess this is why people would sell their batteries inside their phones for scrap.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work for USPS and things are changing as far as restrictions on batteries.

Last week we got word that lithium batteries cannot be shipped internationally at all, and domestically ONLY if the battery is installed in the item it is made for.

So a lithium battery becomes less dangerous if it is shipped with a device? Sounds like a silly rule to me.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I recently picked up an Apple G4 IBook in excellent condition. Have been wondering about shipping it with the battery. Guess that's ok through USPS??

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT PRO, and Garrett Pro Pointer. Hope to one day be good enough to justify buying a Whites V3Xi.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah, we are confused about it ourselves. My best guess is that the device it is installed in would protect it from damage during shipping better than just laying loose in a box. But that's only a guess.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I am confused too about the battery shipping stuff.

The clerks at our PO are telling people that the battery in cell phones has to be removed from the phone during shipping, but it is okay to ship the battery with the phone, IIUC.

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes the best thing to do, is to simply enter one of the many UPS or USPS locations and just ask them. Saying this because I haven't shipped anything electronic.. only rocks and minerals..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread