apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On March 23, the post office attempted to deliver a package to the buyer. The buyer was apparently not home so the package is now setting at the post office ready for pick up. The buyer has never picked up the package. What happens next? Will it be returned to me? Will I have to issue a refund? Geez!
apush

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If delivery was attempted, they should have been left a notice form. It's a form 3849. They can either pick it up, or call the number on the back and schedule redelivery. I don't know how long before the P.O. leaves a second notice. It's possible the customer never got the form for some reason.

I'd would shoot them a polite message through ebay and let them know it is waiting for pick up.

I used to have a mail carrier that was too damn lazy to get out of her vehicle to carry a package to the door. One day I was actually standing on my porch when the mail came. After she drove off I went checked the mail and there was a notice left. That was like the third time she pulled that crap. I went to the Post Office, spoke with the supervisor and explained that with 2 cars in the driveway and me standing on my porch that there wasn't anyway delivery was even attempted. She called the carrier and made her return to my house. It has never happened since.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Go through the hoops on Ebay and get the buyers phone number. It's not that difficult. Give the buyer a call. In this era of making things happen by clicking a button we sometimes ignore the fact that old school methods might be our best option. I had a guy who didn't pay one time and when I called him on the phone he said the notice from Ebay that he had won the auction AND the invoice I sent had both ended up in his spam folder. He paid for the item while I was still on the phone with him and all ended well.

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
If delivery was attempted, they should have been left a notice form. It's a form 3849. They can either pick it up, or call the number on the back and schedule redelivery. I don't know how long before the P.O. leaves a second notice. It's possible the customer never got the form for some reason.

I'd would shoot them a polite message through ebay and let them know it is waiting for pick up.

I used to have a mail carrier that was too damn lazy to get out of her vehicle to carry a package to the door. One day I was actually standing on my porch when the mail came. After she drove off I went checked the mail and there was a notice left. That was like the third time she pulled that crap. I went to the Post Office, spoke with the supervisor and explained that with 2 cars in the driveway and me standing on my porch that there wasn't anyway delivery was even attempted. She called the carrier and made her return to my house. It has never happened since.
Mine isn't quite as bad but still isn't doing his job properly. He will pull into the driveway and beep his horn....

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

I have the same exact problem. Was standing on the front porch and watched him put the little "slip" in the mailbox anyway.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...so sorry guys that the sloths delivering your mail are too lazy to perform their job as required by their job description. As a USPS rural carrier (no haters please! ha), I exhaust every avenue I can before NOT leaving the package, plus.. I DO NOT want to tote it back to the office, I want to deliver everything I can possible, because I also get a lot of things myself at my house and appreciate decent service. As far as beeping the horn, that is required by office policy for more than one reason-it alerts the resident that we are there, and also-to wake Fido up. Yes-I have been bitten twice..ouch. Good for you GibH, you did the right thing, and I hope that you continue to receive better service..you all deserve that. If I know the customer and know they are expecting the package and I can't leave it (signature), I leave my cell number and they call me and meet me out on the route. I'm not trying to toot my own horn...did I just say that...but anyway, I do try to represent the USPS as best I can and have a lot of satisfied customers on my route...and there are plenty bad apples that are there to simply cram the mail in the box and go on. And they wonder why the ship is sinking....go figure! Thanks for sharing Apush!! I hope they get their package and everything pans out for you. ddf

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I suppose it varies by where you live as well. At my old home in NH where I lived for 32 years it was not uncommon for the post office to call me to let me know I had a large package too big for the box. Then I could decide if I wanted them to leave it somewhere or if I preferred to pick it up on my way home from work. I am sure this is NOT company policy but it was a nice gesture.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Wow...so sorry guys that the sloths delivering your mail are too lazy to perform their job as required by their job description. As a USPS rural carrier (no haters please! ha), I exhaust every avenue I can before NOT leaving the package, plus.. I DO NOT want to tote it back to the office, I want to deliver everything I can possible, because I also get a lot of things myself at my house and appreciate decent service. As far as beeping the horn, that is required by office policy for more than one reason-it alerts the resident that we are there, and also-to wake Fido up. Yes-I have been bitten twice..ouch. Good for you GibH, you did the right thing, and I hope that you continue to receive better service..you all deserve that. If I know the customer and know they are expecting the package and I can't leave it (signature), I leave my cell number and they call me and meet me out on the route. I'm not trying to toot my own horn...did I just say that...but anyway, I do try to represent the USPS as best I can and have a lot of satisfied customers on my route...and there are plenty bad apples that are there to simply cram the mail in the box and go on. And they wonder why the ship is sinking....go figure! Thanks for sharing Apush!! I hope they get their package and everything pans out for you. ddf

I must be extra lucky. I've had maybe one or two oddities from USPS here in my country home since 1987. More times than not, I get early delivery rather than the attempted delivery notice. I will say this though. Everytime I had any problem, it's been when the regular worker is obviously misplaced on that run.

The UPS guy is about the same in performance but I still prefer USPS. USPS and I have a great track record over all these years. martin

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. I did send the buyer an email to let her know the item was at the post office awaiting pick up. One of the members of my church is a rural carrier. She is a wonderful lady and I know her job is difficult at best. She works hard and has been with the Post Office over 20+ years. In the country, she has had to encounter many obstacles, so I have a great deal of respect for her.
apush

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
On March 23, the post office attempted to deliver a package to the buyer. The buyer was apparently not home so the package is now setting at the post office ready for pick up. The buyer has never picked up the package. What happens next? Will it be returned to me? Will I have to issue a refund? Geez!
apush
I just got one back yesterday. I shipped it to Georgia on March 10th and delivery couldn't be made "Business Closed" sticker from PO was checked Unclaimed. I sent an email to buyer as of today no response.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...so sorry guys that the sloths delivering your mail are too lazy to perform their job as required by their job description.

That was a while back. Our post office is actually very good. The problem with the carrier was promptly resolved at the time, and I don't know if she is now on a different route or if they got rid of her. As they say, one bad apple ... .

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Thank you all. I did send the buyer an email to let her know the item was at the post office awaiting pick up. One of the members of my church is a rural carrier. She is a wonderful lady and I know her job is difficult at best. She works hard and has been with the Post Office over 20+ years. In the country, she has had to encounter many obstacles, so I have a great deal of respect for her.
apush
Curious if you tried simply calling them as I suggested ? Getting a buyers contact info if you have a deal pending is easy. It has solved otherwise unproductive problems with emails and reminders to pay sent via Ebay for me several times in the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread