Shocking museum experience

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been working with my brother on his anthropolgy project that he is doing on my logging camp finds. We went to our local museum to see if we could find some more information. My brother called ahead of time to speak with the executive director. Without shaking our hands he asks, "are you guys from American digger"....I choked out-loud and said, "excuse me"?!
I asked what he knew about the logging company and he drew a blank... I choked again at hearing this and he said, "oh, well there was lots of logging outfits at that time".
I informed him that no outfit was bigger and that the company employed men for over 60 years, even through the depression. The logging company's owner was also the co-founder of the town your living in. Unbelievable!!!
It turns out the museum director got the job because he is an excellent grant writer... Sad, any donation from me went out the door as soon as he opened his mouth.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its all about getting govt funding to run the measum - of course the grant writer is "in charge"

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been working with my brother on his anthropolgy project that he is doing on my logging camp finds. We went to our local museum to see if we could find some more information. My brother called ahead of time to speak with the executive director. Without shaking our hands he asks, "are you guys from American digger"....I choked out-loud and said, "excuse me"?!
I asked what he knew about the logging company and he drew a blank... I choked again at hearing this and he said, "oh, well there was lots of logging outfits at that time".
I informed him that no outfit was bigger and that the company employed men for over 60 years, even through the depression. The logging company's owner was also the co-founder of the town your living in. Unbelievable!!!
It turns out the museum director got the job because he is an excellent grant writer... Sad, any donation from me went out the door as soon as he opened his mouth.
That is a good thing that you walked out...Live and learn.......... My self i would never donate to a museum............

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then again, you approached the wrong person :laughing7: You should have been seeking out the museums curator. There is a big difference in the job tittles and responsibilities. What you did is like asking a butcher how do I pick out asparagus

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know...nothing like getting called fat idiots before even getting our names.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it seems to me that you were a bit perturbed when the director had no clue about what what you were asking. According to your post you choked a few times, I'm just trying to point you in the right direction :laughing7: Sorry if you don't appreciate my sense of humor, but that's what keeps me entertained. By the way, my analogy is not off the mark; simply put, you were in the right church, but wrong pew :tongue3: Had I meant to be belittling, I would have spelled out the definitions.

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bothered by your comment at all I meant fat idiot because the guy compared me to Rick savage...he could have pointed me to the curator.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well everyone got a little laugh and you got the last laugh. Here you were trying to do some good, but all a director will see are money signs. I could imagine his face when he realized he may have gotten artifacts instead of the big bucks he was probably expecting. :tongue3: Would have made a great VISA commercial... Priceless :laughing7:

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto...LMAO!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunatly that is becoming more and more common,especially as the older native folks are passing on.My local Museum basically tossed out its knowledgable older folks,started a Museum board and has held social functions in the museum(boxing up displays to make room)then they hired some idiot,that knew nothing about any history let alone the local history,and was caught stealing and selling artifacts...now they hired a guy with degrees out his yang....knows history but no local history.Pretty shameful

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread