Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey fellow t-netters

Back in the woods! What a great day. I was digging through a crust of snow in a few shady spots, but it was a balmy 38, the ticks have died down, rifle hunting is over, and I unearthed my first shoe buckle! This looks colonial to me, but as it is my first I'm tentative to call it. Anyone care to weigh in? Advice on restoration? It looks to have some nice detail under the crust, but I'm not messing with it for now at least.

The crotal is a monstrous beauty! Haven't been able to find a C makers mark match in searching thus far, but I am so pleased.

I actually scored the coin straight away, followed by the shoe frame. Something looked off (in a good way) about the kgii-ish left facing bust. It is pretty fragged, but I've got a definite "et lib" from about 2-4 o'clock on the reverse that my camera can't seem to capture that well, making this my 3rd connie!

The smaller "paris" buckle and double gilt button are nice, but the little brassy tab that I -almost- put in my junk pouch seemed to have some kind of detail, so I decided to have a closer look at home. What a delight to see what was underneath the grime! I've never seen one of these before. Any ideas?

Hope the day treated you all well, too. Thanks for reading and hh out there.

Attachments

• 12-5-15.jpg
    12-5-15.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 12-5-15 2.jpg
    12-5-15 2.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    673.4 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    716.5 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    673.2 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    589.5 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    583.9 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 9

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, good job on saving them

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a big one for sure, too bad the other side is missing the number, still it'll display well. Nice going on the buckles and the copper looks like there's some good digging where you went.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Zulu Kilo, :occasion14: looks like you had a great day in those woods. I'm still looking for my first of all those digs except for the ring in the lower left. Nice saves.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a big one for sure, too bad the other side is missing the number, still it'll display well. Nice going on the buckles and the copper looks like there's some good digging where you went.

Thanks pepperj. I wondered about that missing side. I had only dug a partial one before...one more puzzle to solve.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Zulu Kilo, :occasion14: looks like you had a great day in those woods. I'm still looking for my first of all those digs except for the ring in the lower left. Nice saves.

Ha! That's hilarious, my grandmother used to call me Kilo-Echo, my first and middle initials.

Never fear, you keep hoovering up all the silver and Indians like you have been, and I'm sure your bucket list is going to be pretty small in short order. With your persistence nothing buried in Ohio has a chance.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha! That's hilarious, my grandmother used to call me Kilo-Echo, my first and middle initials.

Never fear, you keep hoovering up all the silver and Indians like you have been, and I'm sure your bucket list is going to be pretty small in short order. With your persistence nothing buried in Ohio has a chance.

We have the same 2 initials Kilo Echo

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds! Shoe buckles were basically out of favor in 1800 so you can rest assured that if you find one its likely colonial. There's a killer free shoe buckle reference online that you can download as a free pdf. Google Whitehead buckle reference. It's incredible detailed and gives date ranges. I've actually found some identical examples of what he has in his book

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of those open work buckles are 1720-1790. The small buckle may be a garter buckle. I love that little buckle
image.jpg
image.jpg

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A CT and a nice early buckle is a great day. Never seen anything like your unknown with the bust... quite a neat trinket.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everybody!

great finds! Shoe buckles were basically out of favor in 1800 so you can rest assured that if you find one its likely colonial. There's a killer free shoe buckle reference online that you can download as a free pdf. Google Whitehead buckle reference. It's incredible detailed and gives date ranges. I've actually found some identical examples of what he has in his book

Ahab, great reference tip. Looks like the shoe buckle is from the 1760-90 period. Any thoughts on restoration?

The Paris - Solide buckle looks to date to 1880-90. I like it very much.

WAISTCOAT | Paris - Solide (Maker) | 1969.6656 -- Historic New England
buckles paris.JPG

A CT and a nice early buckle is a great day. Never seen anything like your unknown with the bust... quite a neat trinket.

Thanks IP! I'm traveling for the next two weekends so this was probably my last day out, unless things get really wonky weather-wise. Couldn't ask for a nicer last hunt. And I can't believe I found something you haven't seen. Bonus!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, nice work, I'm sure there must be more hiding there, go get it!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the shoe buckle.
They are one of my favorite things to find. I only found 1 complete.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me personally I would only restore something that is rare or valuable and I knew could look much better for my collection. If I found a belt plate or a GW button that was folded I would likely spend the money for restoration. I have found around 17 shot buckles in 2 years. Some are complete and most are not. I just display them the way they come out of the dirt. Except for one frame that I buffed out to its original shiny brass. Pretty dumb because it stands out like a sore thumb next to the others. And not in a good way. Might rebury it for a couple years. If I were you I would just concentrate on finding more early sites and adding more killer buckles to your collection. Good luck buddy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
P
For me personally I would only restore something that is rare or valuable and I knew could look much better for my collection. If I found a belt plate or a GW button that was folded I would likely spend the money for restoration. I have found around 17 shot buckles in 2 years. Some are complete and most are not. I just display them the way they come out of the dirt. Except for one frame that I buffed out to its original shiny brass. Pretty dumb because it stands out like a sore thumb next to the others. And not in a good way. Might rebury it for a couple years. If I were you I would just concentrate on finding more early sites and adding more killer buckles to your collection. Good luck buddy

Thanks for the advice. I've enjoyed getting acquainted with your epic adventures. Good luck back!

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job on the shoe buckle.
They are one of my favorite things to find. I only found 1 complete.

Thanks! That's very hard to believe given your museum of finds. I was hoping some of your recent Spanish silver craziness would somehow zap Vermont and I could get my first before the season ended, but I'll take the buckle 😀

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! That's very hard to believe given your museum of finds. I was hoping some of your recent Spanish silver craziness would somehow zap Vermont and I could get my first before the season ended, but I'll take the buckle ��

Where in Vt are you? I've been working in Stowe for months

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread