Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey fellow t-netters

Back in the woods! What a great day. I was digging through a crust of snow in a few shady spots, but it was a balmy 38, the ticks have died down, rifle hunting is over, and I unearthed my first shoe buckle! This looks colonial to me, but as it is my first I'm tentative to call it. Anyone care to weigh in? Advice on restoration? It looks to have some nice detail under the crust, but I'm not messing with it for now at least.

The crotal is a monstrous beauty! Haven't been able to find a C makers mark match in searching thus far, but I am so pleased.

I actually scored the coin straight away, followed by the shoe frame. Something looked off (in a good way) about the kgii-ish left facing bust. It is pretty fragged, but I've got a definite "et lib" from about 2-4 o'clock on the reverse that my camera can't seem to capture that well, making this my 3rd connie!

The smaller "paris" buckle and double gilt button are nice, but the little brassy tab that I -almost- put in my junk pouch seemed to have some kind of detail, so I decided to have a closer look at home. What a delight to see what was underneath the grime! I've never seen one of these before. Any ideas?

Hope the day treated you all well, too. Thanks for reading and hh out there.

Attachments

• 12-5-15.jpg
    12-5-15.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 12-5-15 2.jpg
    12-5-15 2.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    583.9 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    589.5 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    673.2 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    716.5 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    673.4 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 9

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt Z.K.! That's one sweet complete shoe buckle and you even got one with the iron tongue still there. :thumbsup: Surely iron tongues are hard to come by unless still with the frame. All the chapes and tongues I find are brass. Love the bell and the other buckle you got too. Great hunt man.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful buckles bud. Personal adornments are great finds. They're personal and they just reek of history!

Congrays

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful buckles bud. Personal adornments are great finds. They're personal and they just reek of history!

Congrays

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the support and education guys!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread