cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only got about $110 in halves yesterday while bank hopping. Didn't have time to look at them till this afternoon. Big skunk, and I got all of these at least 20 miles north of me. I did see a few of my marked coins but the mark was very feint, like it was some of the first that I marked.

In my second to last roll, during my edge search, I noticed one that did not line up with the others. It was smaller, I thought someone had slipped in a quarter. I knew it was not a dollar because it was so thin. I pulled it out saw that it was a half. Maybe it was stamped on a foreign planchet, but it is clad. It has a full rim all around. It is not worn down like the slot halves, but the slot halves are still full size. It measures just slightly under 30mm. Halves are supposd to be 30.6mm. Here are the scans of all 3 sides.
JFK-11.jpg JFK-12.jpg JFK-13.jpg
What do you think?

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's odd CD. I have no clue....not enough experience in that area here. I didn't realize the US used foreign planchets or do they?

From the picture the numbers in the year look way to low meaning too close to the rim. They actually look like they are going off of the coin. Looks the same on the reverse at the very bottom where "half dollar" is stamped.

Immy's back...maybe he can chime in on this.

BTW - Sorry to hear about the skunk.......keep plugging.....

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lejeuene said:
I didn't realize the US used foreign planchets or do they?
Our mint does make some foreign coins, but I have no idea if the coins are clad like ours.
lejeuene said:
From the picture the numbers in the year look way to low meaning too close to the rim. They actually look like they are going off of the coin. Looks the same on the reverse at the very bottom where "half dollar" is stamped.
That is exactly what is happening. The usual space all around is missing. ;D Might be worth a few $$

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Interesting. Is it nevertheless a full, strong strike? And there aren't the usual signs of wear? No high-points worn down? If not, it looks like you may have simply got a thin coin. Why or how?---your guess is as good as mine. A planchet from another coin---foreign or domestic---is a very real possibilty.

...and bummer about the skunk.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really do not think it is anything unusual. If you will take a look at the halves minted in the late 90's to today and compare them to the ones minted in 1971 - 1991, you will see they look to be thinner.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wayne1956 said:
I really do not think it is anything unusual. If you will take a look at the halves minted in the late 90's to today and compare them to the ones minted in 1971 - 1991, you will see they look to be thinner.

Yes, it is thinner than most. But, I have seen thin one before. But the first thing I noticed was when I held the full roll in my hand it was shorter than all the others. That I had never seen before, that is what made me notice it.
I will keep it for now and someday take it by a coin dealer to get his opinion. If it is nothing special :( I will probably buy a donut with it, that will make me feel better. ;D

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Dan, I found one of those about a year ago. Posted it here but can't find it. Maybe someone with search capibilities can come up with it. mine is a 1990P. Talked to a guy who deals in error coins and he thought it was faked someway but couldn't tell me how.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fiatboy said:
I will probably buy a donut with it, that will make me feel better.
That's the best idea I've yet heard on this forum.
Come on over I just made a fresh pot of coffee.

PLUS Donuts.jpg
There is enough for everybody ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions