Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't get up at my usual 4:00 AM this morning and finally woke up at about 7:45! That's late for me.
By the time I got dressed and on the road it was already getting hot! I made a short trip to a park where someone had posted it was hunted out on another forum. Spent 15 minutes and recovered a quarter, two nickels and six pennies, all clad. So, don't always believe it when someone says a certain place is hunted out! Spent a couple of hours "prospecting", that is looking over a few places I intend to hunt in the future. I like to know who is out and about at that time of day and what the lay of the land is before I get there. Then I got home and spent about two hours working at building a sandscoop for my new water detector when it gets here. Used 3" PVC pipe and an end cap. Got most of the holes drilled but it got too hot even to be outside! Put it up and will work on it tomorrow. I read about one of the forum members making his own scoops and decided I could do that! The only trouble I had was keeping the holes straight and I didn't! ::) But it will work ok I think! JIM

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jim, I made scoop similar to the one you are making with PVC pipe and a cap, I used a wooden handle and mounted it straight up and down which makes a 90 degree angle. I should have put more of an angle on the handle, say 100 degrees as mine is a little hard to push down on with my foot as I have to extend my arm out far to get the point of the scoop into the sand. I also use an 18"X18"X3"" piece of industrial type styrofoam tied to a thin rope, then tied to my leg or where ever to dump the scoop onto, works like a floating table. Here's a pic of my scoop, hope it helps. HH, Mike
47b4d835b3127cce9a8360dfb79900000016108AYsWjhy5cta

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike, How'd you attach the handle? Epoxy? I have enough PVC to make several scoops so I might try making one with a handle also? Thanks for the response. JIM

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rtde3 said:
Hey Jim what kind of water machine are you getting?

Inquiring minds wanna know!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JIM

&

MIKE ;

? ?You should Post THe steps to Make them in Techiniques.

? ? ? ? ? JEFF

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's another post on the forum someplace where a member made some similar scoops out of PVC. He will make one and sell it to you very reasonably or help you make one. It's just a matter of boring a lot of holes and shaping and cutting the PVC so it will work as a scoop.

I decided to put a long handle on my first one so I found an old wooden broom handle and bored a hole through the cap at a slight angle, inserted the broom handle and used Gorilla Glue to keep it in. It looks pretty sturdy but that remains to be seen. I had some aluminum tubing that would have been stronger and would last forever but it also would be picked up by the detector coil. I wanted to be able to run the coil over the scoop and see if I had picked up the target or not. Also, I have trouible bending because of my bad back and hopefully I can scoop with the long handle without having to bend over so far. Will be doing a test run in the next few days. JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread