Shortcut to gumbo

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
My grandmother (if she was still alive) would slap me silly for cooking gumbo this way. Sometimes I just don’t have time for the entire process but want gumbo, and I have cooked this in batches for many years for workplace get togethers, family functions, etc and it has never failed. Learned from a chef buddy of mine. Sautee onions, bell pepper, celery, garlic along with smoked sausage. Add chicken stock/water. Bring to boil. Add roux (either jarred or cooked), just make sure roux is room temp or colder. Gumbo should be soup consistency. Bring back to a boil. Chop boneless chicken thighs and add. Throw in some legs. Add sliced okra (you can use frozen if that’s all that’s available). Bring back to a boil. Season as you go ( cayenne, garlic powder, salt, pepper). Reduce to a slow simmer for a couple hours. Enjoy!! IMG_0538.jpeg

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Looks like reasonable short cuts with great results. Is that andouille sausage? All I have for lunch is leftover pizza. Gumbo sounds good. I might try that for supper. 👍🏼

IMG_2037.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread