Should Dug Items Be Cleaned?

nw1886

Greenie
Apr 5, 2010
You guy's ROCK! I'm a professional numismatist who for the first time, has read a whole thread and seen only responsible info on the cleaning (or not) on coins. Is this a "tumbler free zone?" :o

I started detecting because there were no coin shops around for a kid to spend his lawn mowing money with and my "coin shop" was the dirt! I paw though huge quantities of coins of all types, conditions and rarities. Nothin' gives me the feeling of lookin' at my collection of ground recovery stuff A memory from each one and they "wear the color" very nicely thank you! Ahh...the ones that do come out AU and translucent coloring are rare but...the others hold their own just fine too. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nw1886 said:
You guy's ROCK! I'm a professional numismatist who for the first time, has read a whole thread and seen only responsible info on the cleaning (or not) on coins. Is this a "tumbler free zone?" :o

I started detecting because there were no coin shops around for a kid to spend his lawn mowing money with and my "coin shop" was the dirt! I paw though huge quantities of coins of all types, conditions and rarities. Nothin' gives me the feeling of lookin' at my collection of ground recovery stuff A memory from each one and they "wear the color" very nicely thank you! Ahh...the ones that do come out AU and translucent coloring are rare but...the others hold their own just fine too. :thumbsup:

For sure. I've collected and sold quite a few and in the process of doing that over several years I could have build up a very impressive collection or early coins, but I didn't because they mean very little compared to my dug finds. To me the bought collection was just the same as money saved so whenever I needed some quick cash it was the place to go. I never did have a whole lot tied up, but once I sold the last coin I decided to spend my money on other things..... which ended up being watches. :icon_scratch: Well at least you can wear a watch I guess. ;D Watches, coins, and anything else that you will never have enough money to meet your want list is a bad addiction to have! At least with detecting what you find is what you get!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread