Should i be careful handling certain rocks?

pretious

Banned
Jul 14, 2019
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey guys, im a total noob and have zero schooling to do with geology, however i just came across an article talking about how toxic pyrite, quartzite, and granite( and of course asbestos , i knew that one ;) ) are. Should i be careful handling these rocks, and having them in my house for instance?
thanks for the help!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a couple things, yes, you should handle with care. With most, nothing else is needed. Quartzite, granite and pyrite and fine. I've had them sitting around here for years. Asbestos, in its original matrix is ok too. The Quebec asbestos is not a problem. Now some of the African asbestos can be a problem. I have some of the Quebec stuff and it's no issue. It doesn't exactly vaporize itself and spread fumes all over the atmosphere. I have 20 pounds of it sitting around in boxes.

There are a few rules however: Do NOT lick or eat any rocks. That's rule #1. Rule #2, do not grind or saw any rock without a dust mask on, a decent one. Any low grade radioactives are safe. In general, on the East Coast you won't find many really hot rocks anymore. The mines have been reclaimed or are still producing, and the still producing part is problematic, as I'm not sure any are anymore.

Do NOT lick arsentates. Some pyrite can contain arsenic, so don't lick it. The exhaust from your car is more toxic than any rock you will probably encounter.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any rock I take home, I wash and then also wash my hands afterwards. I NEVER lick a rock, better to spit on it if you want to clean it off a little. Hantivirus is alive and well in my state, and rodents crawl all over rocks lol! Just an FYI

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Humans are a lot more dangerous. Many rock problems happen during extraction when melting and fumes aren't handled well.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread