If not Quartz, What else can it be?

jungliston1

Jul 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, traded for this piece. Im not sure what this may be. Did the Glass Scratch test(Whiskey bottle) and it did not scratch it. Had it XRF scanned with some other rocks and these are some of the results that did not fit in the Quartz or Geo Stanards, I did online. Fourth pic is True Color. Thank you for the help,
Edward M.
LE 98.25%; Fe 1.16%; Sr 419ppm; Ni 252ppm; Mn 518ppm; Cr 3402ppm; Ti 952
20190723_194752-ccfopt.jpg 20190723_194943-ccfopt.jpg 20190723_195012-ccfopt.jpg 20190724_105938-ccfopt.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, something doesn't add up correctly. There is no SI or O in the composition you listed above, and if that is correct is it not quartz.

That being said, it has nickel, chromium, strontium, iron and titanium in it.

"LE" is not an element, it is nothing. Did you mean to type something else?

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, assuming the black dots are actually dots of mineralization and not just holes, that's where the chromium comes in. Those metals also do not generally occur in the same rock. Interesting. It could be manmade. Like something left over from an ore melt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I agree with everything Smokey said. LOL

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jungliston1

Jul 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, the LE % is all the Light Elements. When I had them scanned that is what the Tech told me. Thank you for the help,
Edward M.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So...without a breakdown of what that is, it will be pretty hard to tell. "Light" elements can be SiO2 - quartz, light elements, also calcium, lithium, and a host of others.

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokey, where'd you get that danged extremely intelligent brain of yours?

Yard sales, flea markets?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jungliston1

Jul 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry here are some of the other elements in this. Thank you gor the help,
Edward M.
Sb 86ppm; Bi 23ppm; W19ppm; Mo 23ppm; Y 18ppm; Rb 4ppm; Zn 75ppm; Cu 18ppm;

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepseekerADS, Ihave read the Bible more than any other book, after that it was Fun & Wagnall's Encyclopedia. I had a whole set back in the day. Read most of it. No joke.

Jungliston1, those are rather rare or uncommon elements, zinc, copper, molybendum, yittrium, bismuth, rubidium.

SB and W are not elements at all.

Check out "periodic table of elements" on Google or another search engine. You can also check out www.mindat.com and look for the rarer minerals first containing yittrium, bismuth and rubidium and you'll see what I mean.

All these elements do not occur together in nature. Best guess is you got a bad test. There is absolutely no silicon in it, the most common element in minerals, and no oxygen or carbon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
XRF devices are purpose built, with software also for that purpose. An XRF device designed for precious metal analysis is pretty much useless for mineral or ore analysis. The model found at the local scrapyard is designed for base and industrial metal analysis, and will be a poor choice for precious metals. I suspect the model used on your rock was not built for mineral analysis.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jungliston1

Jul 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I checked the Periodic table and W(Tungsten) and Sb(Antimony), were both on the table. When, I sent them to get scanned, the company website said it did mining and soil sampling. Looked back at the email from the co., and it states "LE is a percentage weight of elements such as Carbon and Phosphorus" and elements are in ppm as a Standard for Geochem anaylsis. I sent a metal Bracelet and the report was different. Thank you for the help,
Edward M.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
it does appear to be carbonate rock...but...it also looks man-made, like a conglomerate. Weird.

Pour some white vinegar on it, if you have muriatic acid that's even better, and see if it fizzes. Might have to wait a while to get a reaction from vinegar, muriatic will be rather quick

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread