Should I buy an F75????

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Selling my M6 to upgrade which is a decent machine but I have to admit I am nervous about flipping the switch on an F75.
I found a great price for a new one for 799.00 but I am still fairly new(one year TH'ng) and the learning curve with the M6 was quite easy. Don't get me wrong as I love a challenge and have a buddy with one that can help but my concern is more of the quality issues and customer service than learning the machine.
I've read some of skypilots posts about the inexpensive soldering and about people having major EMI issues and even people sending in their machines and coming back weaker than when the sent them in.
I hunt mainly in the Chicagoland area forrest preserves and some older parks as well as a few road trips to the UP of Mi each year. My other goal this year is older homes but will there be issues with these machines?????
Would I be better off with an F70???

Confused

Makton

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
makton said:
Selling my M6 to upgrade which is a decent machine but I have to admit I am nervous about flipping the switch on an F75.
I found a great price for a new one for 799.00 but I am still fairly new(one year TH'ng) and the learning curve with the M6 was quite easy. Don't get me wrong as I love a challenge and have a buddy with one that can help but my concern is more of the quality issues and customer service than learning the machine.
I've read some of skypilots posts about the inexpensive soldering and about people having major EMI issues and even people sending in their machines and coming back weaker than when the sent them in.
I hunt mainly in the Chicagoland area forrest preserves and some older parks as well as a few road trips to the UP of Mi each year. My other goal this year is older homes but will there be issues with these machines?????

Confused

Makton

At $800 you'd be smarter to get the F75 over paying $650 for the F70 because with the F75 you get that awesome 11" DD Elliptical Coil plus the added F75 features

Almost all F70 owners upgrade to the 11" DD eventually and it costs about $169 if purchased separately.

I'm just now buying the 11" DD Elliptical Coil for my F70. I got a super deal on my F70 ($500 new) that's the reason I bought it over the F75.

But also understand that the F70 and F75 are not super simple machines to master. I'm just starting to learn but my friends who bought the 75 last year are killing the loot. I'll get there but this machine requires study and practice.

Once you get the basics down it's a matter of learning the various signals and how to get those masked coins everybody else misses.

Already I've seen where the depth is almost beyond belief.

Just my 2 cents.

Badger

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If someone stole mine I'd buy another. Can't give it a better vote than that.

It can be set up for easy use or go as complicated as you care to get. The default setting is pretty darned good, and if you hold in the button (there's only one) when turning it on it resets to the default setting.

Yes, it is sensitive to EMI. But the sensitivity is adjustable so just set it so it is not sensitive to EMI.

Soldering problems? Can't say. I built one from Radio Shack/Realistic 30 some years ago and since then have never dared take one apart to see. They have a five year warranty so a problem detector would be returned until they get it right. Inconvenient, yes, but lots of us have not had problems with the F75 so I don't think it is endemic.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own a F75 but I do own a T2 with is very similar. From what I've read, the F75 is even hotter, which is saying alot.

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By all means, buy the F75, BUT(!!!) keep the M6 for your backup machine. The M6 may not have the depth or the features, but it is still an unbelievably good machine. That's why I now have both - very easy to move from one to the other. In areas where the EMI can't be overcome with the fisher, I break out the M6 and still find lots of goodies.

Just my 2 cents.

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Check out the T2 . I have a F75 and have no complaints. Both use the same coil, different connector i think.
Some say the T2 hits harder on coins The F 75 features but cost more. Good Luck Mike.

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
I wouldnt bat an eye over buying a new f75. I have two (one from the very first batch that was sold).and other than breaking a couple of triggers (I'm kinda hard on them), I've never had a problem. Is there the possiblity you'll have problems with a new machine? Absolutely. But for every one you read about that had problems, there are a ton of em still in the field working just fine.
The F75 has a few strengths that are kinda unique to the detecting world, and until someone makes a machine that will outperform it (Keep close watch on fisher!) , its will remain my main battle machine.
The F75 is definately the undisputed king....but the F70 aint no sloutch either....ESPECIALLY with the 11" DD coil on it. Push comes to shove though.....I'd opt for the F75....for the slightly better depth, and AM options the F70 does not have.
Set up right, the F75 is inmatched in its "unmasking" abilities, and can really turn your old "hunted out" sites back on again.
I recently hunted an older site of mine (1750's Mission site) that I had hunted for a good 20 years. I'd not hunted it for about maybe 5 years, and only quit because it got to the point where it was absolutely barren and deviod of targets. After having the 75 for a couple of years, I thought of the site....and had a ride up there to check it out. I couldnt believe how much was still there!
side by side tests in Fe infested sites and my test garden, with the F75 and a few high end other brands confirmed what I'd been experiencing in the field. The F75 can simply "see' a lot more than most other machines out there. A LOT of the stuff some guys brand as "interference", is actually targets in the ground. Like smallish condictors that pop with the 75, especially in JE mode. Thats not to say you wont get some Rf interference with the 75 in urban settings (you will indeed), but I think its a fair trade off for its performance. Think of the F75 as an MXT on steroids. (Two different machines...SAME designer!).
IF you get one......play around with it a bit (in terms of sens settings and disc). It does some amazing things when set up right! :o Good luck with whatever you decide on. An NO.......despite what you may hear..........machines returned from the factory that have been repaired.................are NOT "Detuned" in any way. There HAVE been some returned that werent repaired properly........... they were just honest screwups. Streak!

grunt

Jul 16, 2008
south texas.
Detector(s) used
MXT,CZ-5,SAFARI,T2-SE
theres a feller who had three f-75's ,until he found the T2 ---does the same thing without the bells & whistles!!it also saves you money.i have one and its really deep ----what a machine. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• tekneticsFace.jpg
    tekneticsFace.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 321

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought both the F75 and the T2. The T2 stayed for the wider range of discrimination at the low end where I need it.

The main site testing the Fisher and T2 that went with the F75 as the one to buy has now reconsidered as the performance of the T2 has been boosted to that of the 75. The T2 is now the detector of choice.

On the repair front one of the biggest dealers in Europe has reported that the returns/repairs are lower than with most of the other detector companies.

Only thing to watch is if your buying a T2 secondhand. There were a variety of improvements over months, shaft, battery springs then control box sealing which you can have done retrospectively but it will not have the depth of the F75 in JE mode. If you buy new you get the performance match with the Fisher and all the upgrades and still save some cash.

grunt

Jul 16, 2008
south texas.
Detector(s) used
MXT,CZ-5,SAFARI,T2-SE
i bought my unit brand new from k&d dets.dallas is a super guy to deal with.my unit has the new revisions # 6.thanks.------------------------------------bill :hello2:

Attachments

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
thats not "quite" true Brian.....

U.K. Brian said:
I bought both the F75 and the T2. The T2 stayed for the wider range of discrimination at the low end where I need it.

The main site testing the Fisher and T2 that went with the F75 as the one to buy has now reconsidered as the performance of the T2 has been boosted to that of the 75. The T2 is now the detector of choice.

On the repair front one of the biggest dealers in Europe has reported that the returns/repairs are lower than with most of the other detector companies.

Only thing to watch is if your buying a T2 secondhand. There were a variety of improvements over months, shaft, battery springs then control box sealing which you can have done retrospectively but it will not have the depth of the F75 in JE mode. If you buy new you get the performance match with the Fisher and all the upgrades and still save some cash.

you wrote that the T2 was "boosted" to the same power as the F75. not true. What happened was that sometime after initial production, a different pre-amp chip with better specifications became available, resulting in "slightly" better performance. The F75 is still a bit hotter. The F75 has quite a few other advantages over the T2 as well. The only "advantage" the T2 has is an increased resolution on the iron range in the disc, and thats negated If you run at O disc! Streak!

John S

Dec 5, 2005
makton said:

Confused

Makton
I bought a f75 and liked it so much I got another one , know I have 2 of them and like them a lot. All so I have a e-trac but the f75 is much better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread