Should I get Whites Classic ID5?

midas777gold

May 29, 2006
I guess any White's machine is good. but, the Classic ID 5 was not an official White's model line. It was made for mail order dealers like Kellyco. The Prizm series took over the official line.

midas777gold

May 29, 2006
I looked at the Classic 5, it looks like the old classic 3 except with a 9.5 coil. White's discontinued the Classic series 3 years ago. For the money, You would be better off getting a Prizm IV which has more features as well as depth reading, but an 8 inch coil.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I have a Classic III SL - just no ID feature. It is a great machine but don't expect to get those deep 6-12" coins in hunted out parks. Everything else though! It really is a good machine to start with and I bet the ID feature makes it better. Only thing not crazy about is the motion mode pinpoint. $400 seems a little expensive. You can get a used Classic for about $150 or a brand new ACE 250 for $215.

Mirage

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Personally I'd go with the Prizm IV. Or if you can find one you might consider the IDX Pro. The top of the Classic line. The IDX does not have a depth meter but by just lifting the coil as you swing over a target you can learn to tell depth by how far off the ground the coil is when you start to lose the signal. There are other good detectors made by other companies you may want to consider also. But in my opinion a Whites detector is a good choice.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
I'm with slow here. I have an IDX PRO and love it. I bought mine on the e place and got a good buy. They can often be found in the 200 range. This is about the price of an Ace 250 but I've tried them both and bought the White's.

grizzly bare

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions