Should I pull the trigger?

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently have an ATPro and really do love it; however, I've been considering getting a CTX 3030. I mostly hunt a freshwater lake, some tot lots, and sports fields in my area. I get to the beach for a week or so every year. Normally Ocean City Maryland or the Outer Banks. My ATPro has done well in the dry sand but I would like to get into the water or wet sand this year. I usually am able to get out for 3-4 hours once or twice a week. Daily for about 4 hours when at the beach.

The main thing stopping me is the money. Is it worth it? Will I be happy after spending so much? Anyone else make this jump? I would love to hear your thoughts. Also thoughts on buying new vs used and where to buy? Thanks in advance on your thoughts.

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I need a water setup.

Yep!

I remember in '84 I lived in NE Ohio just a brisk walk from the Lake Erie beaches. I swung a land machine, even looked over at the beach while hitting a playground. I did dig a merc under the canopy of a small tree. Then as I was leaving heading to my next project, one of the treasure mags front cover was about a NE Ohio hunter who found 140 gold rings in a season. Sure wish I could find that article now.

I ended up leaving the hobby for a few years, worked heavy overtime 90-100 hrs a week for too long, lost my wife to that too.

But as I was ramping up to retirement, I wanted something very very good so I could get out on my knees again. First I bought an ACE250, then an Etrac, and then moved up to the CTX.

Remembering that magazine cover, I started reading a ton of beach & water threads here. Just wanted to get a clear and honest direction to go. Other water machines appealed to me, but I went in the direction of the Excal II. Of course there's no screen, you don't need a screen. You're looking for that solid signal. The Excal finds that for you :)

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excal II, and take some of that money and spend it on upgrades, a nice sand digger etc....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Look at the stuff I have on the left.
It's all sitting still now, almost abandoned, since I got my 3030.

Yep, I got to watch my friend G.I.B. on the beach in St. Pete. When we arrived I went down in the water with my Excal. He set up a test spot burying different rings, and listening to the signals and looking at the numbers. He was really getting into it!

And then after about an hour he proceeded to hunt the sand while I was shoulder deep in the water, and kicked my butt :)

CTX lives!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The idea of a $2500 machine leaking does scare me. It also sounds like minelab may be a little less customer service friendly then what I'm used to with Garrett. Not saying it is because I would not know. Just have read a few concerning posts.

From personal experience, I've had my CTX, my Etrac, and my Excal repaired by the repair center. Two of my problems with the machines were my own fault, and one was a defective machine I bought from the For Sale forums here and had it shipped straight for repair. Those are great guys there, and they care about what they are doing. The absolute issue is in repair parts shipping from Asia with 4 month lead times on ships. Minelab Corp needs to discover express air.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Excal II, and take some of that money and spend it on upgrades, a nice sand digger etc....

Begone elbow pain! Mod it with a straight shaft with the controls behind your elbow and you can go all day long with zero discomfort!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info tcornel! I figure it will take me a while to get used to it. I've liked the ATPro because it wasn't too complicated. Hope if I get a ctx I will have the patience for the learning curve. Sounds like the book is a must. Lack of display is my concern with excalibur since I'm used to one now.
For land/park/turf hunting, I would agree that you would want a meter for target I.D. and depth. At the beach, it really isn't an issue. You can discriminate out iron, so, all you have left is non-ferrous, which you will scoop, right?

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Begone elbow pain! Mod it with a straight shaft with the controls behind your elbow and you can go all day long with zero discomfort!

I am in process of modding an older 800 Excal with the travel shaft from plugger. Carbon fiber and light as a feather.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The Carbon Fiber shafts from Bill (Plugger) is a must have mod on the Excal. You can swing it for hours.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
When I'm undecided for a long time, going back and forth. Eventually I just buy what ever it is just to get it out of my system. It will probably be your new go to detector.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did it a couple years ago. The ATP is a great machine for the money but is not is the same class as the CTX. You will have a learning curve but in the end there is no way you will consider going back. I have one up here in Ohio and a second in my condo in Myrtle Beach. Both were bought used with over a years warranty left. If you go the used route be sure to check the serial numbers with Minelab to insure it is genuine product and also to confirm warranty time remaining.

Be sure to buy Sabisch's book. It will cut your learning curve substantially.

The excalibur is sounds only, no digital display which would be quite different than the ATP.

What would you get if you had the AT Pro but needed something better for land? Would you still have the same opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I upgraded to the 3030 twice and for some reason sold them both and use my Excal in the water and beach.
When I'm only in the sand, wet or dry, I like the sovereign GT.
My AT Pro is for lakes and creeks.
Is it possible you can use a friends CTX to see if you would like it before you lay out the cash?
Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Thanks Rusty Gold.
Great idea unfortunately I don't know anyone with a 3030.
Makes sense certain detectors may be better or one may feel more comfortable in certain situations/conditions.

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For land/park/turf hunting, I would agree that you would want a meter for target I.D. and depth. At the beach, it really isn't an issue. You can discriminate out iron, so, all you have left is non-ferrous, which you will scoop, right?

Makes sense and yes!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I wasn't going to advertise, but I went with the Plugger straight shaft, and now I'm looking at buying another :) My second Excal.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would you get if you had the AT Pro but needed something better for land? Would you still have the same opinion?

I had the ATP and sold it. The CTX is top of the line on land, fresh water and salt water. I think I saw an ad in our classified's for a ctx including the 300 6" coil for 1600 with about a year's warranty left.

1600 less 450 for the atp leaves an out of pocket of 1150 for the upgrade.

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the ATP and sold it. The CTX is top of the line on land, fresh water and salt water. I think I saw an ad in our classified's for a ctx including the 300 6" coil for 1600 with about a year's warranty left.

1600 less 450 for the atp leaves an out of pocket of 1150 for the upgrade.

Thanks, I saw the ad too. Thought about looking into it. Want to make sure it is newer model with the updated battery compartment seals.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of mine are the old style. Using the new grey o rings there are not any issues.

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I did it i pulled the trigger and bought a new ctx. Let the learning begin.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both of mine are the old style. Using the new grey o rings there are not any issues.

The battle royal going on in my mine CTX vs XP? That price on that CTX gives me sticker shock. Ugggh. It's funny the years I've spent learning " the game within the game" of the ATP and then come to the realization it's not that good. Lol I'd like to continue on another machine with similar number reading. Well maybe one with more distinguishing tone between pulltab and gold. Any suggestions tcprnel?

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I did it i pulled the trigger and bought a new ctx. Let the learning begin.
Hey PAScott, I just went from the Atp to the CTX. The learning curve is not as bad as you think. Understand, it does take time but you will find stuff right out of the gate. If you don't have Andy's book (CTX 3030 handbook) get it and study it hard. It has helped me tremendously! He puts it in plan English and if you already know how to detect it will make sense. Get the machine in your hand and play with the controls until you can move around with confidence. (I drove my wife crazy) once you learn what the settings do and how to get to them then your detecting experience will kick in. Like I said, I've got a ways to go but I already feel confidence in the machine and for me that's half the battle. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

HH RN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread