All Treasure Hunting

Trollfish

Feb 4, 2013
South East Indiana
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't twitter, nor am I a fan of Mr. Savage, but his premise for different vegitation stands as proof thy guy studies a bit. Certain vegetation actually may, (and I say MAY) actually indicate the presence of mineral deposits. A few years ago, I got to sit on a plane with a fellow who hunted for lost CSA and Union hardware in the Southwest.

They narrowed their search field with, by all things, vegetative growth patterns from photographs taken from airplanes in the spring of the year. As the forces passed through the seeming barren landscape and set up camp, the horses would crap along the way. This crap would provide fertile areas where more vegetation would grow than in the surrounding landscape. By studying the concentrations of the vegetation, they determined the path and the staging areas to search for artifacts. And they were somewhat successful at it.:4leafclover: That aint no horseshit!

This is also a valid search criteria when prospecting. Google it, there are many studies on the subject.

As much as we would love to hate the guy or guys, they aren't stupid as they may seem. And I would love to have a tenth of the money he has.

Last edited:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PowerButton_small.jpg
Turn off the TV and go hunting. :)

After Ric's rant, I refuse to watch his show anymore.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The end result will be pretty much the same as Storage Wars and other Reality Shows. That average Joe and his family will see it, go out an buy a Metal Detector, do a few hunts, find some pulltabs and give up, placing the lightly used Metal Detector in the closet until the next Yard sale or craigslist when money gets tight. Most people don't have the ambition or drive to Metal Detect and if they decide to try it because of a show, they most likely lack the attention span necessary to become proficient at it. Furthermore, they moved the show to Saturday. Who spends a nice Saturday morning watching television? Not me, I'm hunting. I"m not worried one bit about the show. It will wear off, the ratings will drop and it will be gone, replaced with some new trend in reality TV. Have you seen the latest storage wars? The prices are dropping on units because average folks, with no ambition, mortgaged the farm and went out an bought storage lockers thinking they would be able to make a living at it, and lost their asses. The Average American is not going to do what we love to do. It's an acquired taste that takes a special bred of person. So everyone who is a hardcore detectorist with drive and passion for the hobby, HOLD YOUR HEAD HIGH and know, that you are the few, the Proud, the Real Detectorist. Now get out there and Hunt.

detectingarizona

Feb 4, 2013
tempe, arizona, usa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter challenger, and Ace 250, gold nugget bucket!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree with most of you huys, i watched their dive hunts, (i belive planted) found a little wooden snuff box full of jewls, and a few gold nugets, i am like, WTH? i have never heard of anyone find a little wooden box at the bottom of the sea full of jewls and gold, it is bs, now for diggers, i know a guy that is personal friends with george, (or is it king goerge?) and they really do act like that, it is funny to see them get excited over nothing, and diggers is more real the the savage show, they showed them finding old rusted nails and tooth paste tubes, Detectingarizona,

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it makes us metal dector persons look bad giveing persons that us kind of peoples are no good and just out to find treasure n sell it off
bad show whish it was off the air but you know holly wood shows reality things and such.
my $.02 worth

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ebay currently has similar fossil teeth from $8 - 124. $3500??? Noway. The endings to the savage show is laughable. He walks into a local antique shop, spreads out part of an oil lamp, shards of a tobbaco tin a bent spoon and half a baseball cover and says, 'I got to have $5000 for this"

treidm

Mar 10, 2013
Leavenworth, Kansas
Detector(s) used
~MineLab Explorer XS~
~10.5” DD, 8" Concentric~
~Sun Ray X-1 Target Probe~
~GreyGhost Nugget Buster NDT~
~ML XT 18000 - 10" Elliptical DD~
~Lesche Tools & Brunton 15TDCL Compass~
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The end result will be pretty much the same as Storage Wars and other Reality Shows. That average Joe and his family will see it, go out an buy a Metal Detector, do a few hunts, find some pulltabs and give up, placing the lightly used Metal Detector in the closet until the next Yard sale or craigslist when money gets tight. Most people don't have the ambition or drive to Metal Detect and if they decide to try it because of a show, they most likely lack the attention span necessary to become proficient at it. Furthermore, they moved the show to Saturday. Who spends a nice Saturday morning watching television? Not me, I'm hunting. I"m not worried one bit about the show. It will wear off, the ratings will drop and it will be gone, replaced with some new trend in reality TV. Have you seen the latest storage wars? The prices are dropping on units because average folks, with no ambition, mortgaged the farm and went out an bought storage lockers thinking they would be able to make a living at it, and lost their asses. The Average American is not going to do what we love to do. It's an acquired taste that takes a special bred of person. So everyone who is a hardcore detectorist with drive and passion for the hobby, HOLD YOUR HEAD HIGH and know, that you are the few, the Proud, the Real Detectorist. Now get out there and Hunt.

Never seen any of these shows but don't watch much TV
Started reading this thread because it kept coming up in the active threads

Until this post I was leaning towards those against it, but couldn't be sure unless I saw it for myself

The poster here seems to be in the negative group, but I thought about what he stated about the non-detectorist seeing it, trying it and giving up etc.

I now have been thinking, no matter how new people decided to try it and if only a few decided to continue, I am glad if it brings anyone into the hobby/sport
I'm also happy for any level of participation by anyone, even if only every now and then
I hope for open inclusiveness in metal detecting

Of course this being the thoughts of someone who has not watched these shows and this is not meant to be negative in any way to the poster
I actually am glad, it opened a new train of thought in me

....Reid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now have been thinking, no matter how new people decided to try it and if only a few decided to continue, I am glad if it brings anyone into the hobby/sport
I'm also happy for any level of participation by anyone, even if only every now and then
I hope for open inclusiveness in metal detecting

....Reid
If it causes several people in YOUR town to go buy some walmart detectors, and take a #2 shovel and proceed to dig craters in your local parks, are you going to happy about it then? When you present something from a strictly greedy point of view it has a much greater chance of influencing greedy, inconsiderate people to attempt it.

Hide-n-Seek

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blows up a safe just to get a hooker phone book *******

Last edited:

treidm

Mar 10, 2013
Leavenworth, Kansas
Detector(s) used
~MineLab Explorer XS~
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it causes several people in YOUR town to go buy some walmart detectors, and take a #2 shovel and proceed to dig craters in your local parks, are you going to happy about it then? When you present something from a strictly greedy point of view it has a much greater chance of influencing greedy, inconsiderate people to attempt it.
You will have people like that regardless of how they got interested
Your never going to stop people from doing as they want, it's America

Everyone has there own opinion of what is ethical and what is not
It may be hard to understand people that don't think as you do, but it is what it is

If they start with an attitude that you don't like, maybe try to talk to them and educate them
I think if you berate a person, it's unlikely that you could win them over to your viewpoint, but you might be able to gently educate them with kindness and logic

....Reid

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not America because dumbazzez voted an idiot in the whitehouse. But the shows don't show how to dig a plug, how to take out your trash, how not to scream and jump in mud puddles when you find something. There is no education in the shows, that's what's missing. And savage diggers is a show that Rick makes up, he tells the producers he finds stuff like he does and they recreate it, every one of his shows are recreations of events he claims has happened in the past, he is a liar.

treidm

Mar 10, 2013
Leavenworth, Kansas
Detector(s) used
~MineLab Explorer XS~
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, sorry I gave my uneducated opinion, since I really haven't seen the shows

But I have always consider most TV entertainment not educational
"See, Jerry Springer"
:laughing7:

I've always tried to believe that everyone has the right to their creeds in life, whether I agreed with them or not

Good luck this year...

....Reid

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, sorry I gave my uneducated opinion, since I really haven't seen the shows

....Reid

You say you haven't seen the shows...it's worse than you can imagine. It's not just guys out detecting. They do NOT enjoy the act of detecting. They tear up property with backhoes, they toss garbage finds into the bushes, they are greedy. They fight and scream at each other about the lack of finds right in front of the property owners. The majority of people they meet on the show don't trust them and basically get "bad vibes" from them.

I love metal detecting. It pains me when people say "You're like the guys on that show, did you get into detecting to make big money? I don't think I want you tearing up my property like that....BOOM BABY".

tims1chap

Feb 6, 2013
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the Savage show being on Spike should show you there is not educational value. :o

Education if that is what you want then all the manufacturers of Metal Detectors have You Tubes on how to do it correct. Spike is more shock value than anything just look at most of their line up.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well every thing i have read about Ric Savage is he is no dummy ... And he does know a lot and i mean a lot about Relics and how to find them........... SO go get them Ric...​......................" BOOM BABY "

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just threw up

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first you have to laugh about the Boom Baby stuff. But after watching the show you wonder how long the hobby will stay alive. There is nothing they can do to save the Rick Savage character. It does appear someone is actually guiding the searches, and it is more believable. I still think the selling part and morally questionable areas they search is not good for the hobby at all. If he would take the money issue out of the show, I would not find much wrong with it. Come on, heavy equipment? Any publicity is good publicity. But this is bad publicity for the sport.

NCBearhawk

Mar 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a newbie here...so go easy on me. With that said I have to agree with Reid. I'm new to this hobby and this show is what brought about the opportunity to enjoy this hobby. My father was spending the day with me recently after we came home with our new baby girl. As per our usual we camped out on the couch and and found something "educational" to watch (term used very loosely). We wind up watching several episodes of american diggers and Pops starts telling about how much he used to enjoy metal detecting. I remember seeing all the minnie balls in the china cabinet, but never knew how they got there. He points out what he thinks they're doing wrong and we generally enjoy watching the Savages make asses of themselves. I find the whole thing interesting mostly because I have grown fond of local history as I've gotten older. I've just gotten an ace 250 and dad has a detector. Thanks to all the information I've found here I'm ready to head out into my woods, educated, prepared and understanding the learning curve that goes with this hobby. Fortunately for me I have the wonderful folks here and my Dad to show me the ropes. I'm looking forward to having lots of quality father-son time with my old man while I can. While I understand now the bad points of the show the added connection this gives me with Dad and the possibility that I will get to share this with my children one day offsets alot of the negative aspects of shows like this. If folks get interested and have half a clue they'll find groups like this and get educated. The walmart crowd won't stick around long enough to do any damage that concientious detectors will not be able to correct...hopefully before it draws unwanted attention. Just my 2 cents
Paris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions