Sidewalk Removal Hunting - Started April 16th

Contractor1900

Jun 17, 2005
Barrington, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this winter destroyed the street I live on, the flip side is that the city has decided to rip and replace the street, as well as all of the curbs, gutters, driveway aprons... and oh yes, all of the sidewalks. :icon_thumleft: I found my best coin next to my sidewalk - an 1885 V nickel. So, to say in the least, I am psyched!! The fun begins in April.

I haven't had an opportunity like this, so I wanted to read up on other people's experiences with this chance of a lifetime hunt. Can someone point me to some posts from the past covering this subject...or add new if you have advise.

Thanks!!

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sidewalk Removal Hunting

Wow, What a great opportunity. Plan on some long days or evenings, it will be repaired quickly in my opinion.
If it were me, I would hit the aprons and gutter areas as soon as they are removed. There is a good chance they will start forming the new ones the day after demo. Forming could take a few days, so you can keep ahead of them. After that, work the road edge working toward the center.
It seems to me that more finds would be along the edges more than the center of the road.
Good luck, keep us up to date and post some pics of your finds.
Steve

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I have pulled some of my nicest seateds and barbers from sidewalk demo's. Even one of my gold coins (a $5) came from a sidewalk demo. The sidewalk should preferably be a first generation sidewalk in an oldtown area. By "first generation", I mean, if for example, you're in a late 1800s side of town, but the sidewalk was already replaced in the 1950s or 60s, it's possible they scr*wed it up at that time. Like, scraped out at that time, or fill dirt added (which won't come out with the current replacement or whatever). But if the sidewalk is from the 10s or teens, then you might be on an original sidwalk. Those seem to be the best, as some of those were laid with little preparation, right on the original dirt paths or wooden sidewalks. I've even found the evidence of the wooden planks under old walks like that. Contrast to more modern sidewalk const., where they do more prep, like fill-dirt, compaction, etc....

As for streets, those aren't usually much good. Reason is, streets are engineered to carry much more weight, so they have a layer of compacted decomposed granite base. Rarely do subsequent street repavement projects go below that fill strata.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA said:
I have pulled some of my nicest seateds and barbers from sidewalk demo's. Even one of my gold coins (a $5) came from a sidewalk demo. The sidewalk should preferably be a first generation sidewalk in an oldtown area. By "first generation", I mean, if for example, you're in a late 1800s side of town, but the sidewalk was already replaced in the 1950s or 60s, it's possible they scr*wed it up at that time. Like, scraped out at that time, or fill dirt added (which won't come out with the current replacement or whatever). But if the sidewalk is from the 10s or teens, then you might be on an original sidwalk. Those seem to be the best, as some of those were laid with little preparation, right on the original dirt paths or wooden sidewalks. I've even found the evidence of the wooden planks under old walks like that. Contrast to more modern sidewalk const., where they do more prep, like fill-dirt, compaction, etc....

As for streets, those aren't usually much good. Reason is, streets are engineered to carry much more weight, so they have a layer of compacted decomposed granite base. Rarely do subsequent street repavement projects go below that fill strata.
[/quote]ditto

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

glad to see ya back in action

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea hit it fast don't wait, cause they fix those things in a day most the time. :happy1:

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
Contractor1900

Contractor1900

Jun 17, 2005
Barrington, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the advise, I'm really hoping that this is a first generation sidewalk. I have a good feeling that it is since I did pull an 1885 V nickel from the edge of the sidewalk, as well as a 1907 IH a couple inches from the walk as well. I will try to keep ahead of them as they go. My neighbor and I are planning to keep in contact with the contractor doing the work in order to try to get some street pavers that should be under the street, this should allow me to coordinate with the demolition schedule. I'll keep you posted as things develop.

OP
OP
Contractor1900

Contractor1900

Jun 17, 2005
Barrington, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sidewalk Removal Hunting - Update

Well, they started removing the sidewalks on my street this week. They just ripped up the entire blocks worth of concrete across the street from my house. After hunting the entire stretch...nothing. The base that was below the concrete was cinders, my GTI 2500 was picking up numerous false signals, and regardless of how slow I went, and all that I dug, I got skunked!

Thankfully my street is long, and there are a couple miles worth of sidewalk to come up, so I'm hopeful that some areas will produce some good stuff.

Anyone familiar with what kind of base I should be looking for beneath productive sidewalks?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
How old is the neighborhood where these walks are? When they pull out the walks, look to see what type soil is underneath. It should be NATIVE looking. Ie.: whatever you would expect in lawns, etc.., whatever the color & feel of your native soil is, in that area. If it look like sand, or decomposed granite, then you might be in a 2nd generation walk, where it was already re-laid in the 1950s or 60s. In that case, the newer walks sometimes add fill-dirt before they lay. Unlike the older original walks where they didn't have a fill-dirt base (for compaction purposes, etc....). In the older days (pre 20s?) seemed they laid the cement right on the dirt with no fill-prep!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see street or sidewalk demo's I jump at that...Great coin shooting opportunity..

Do ever square inch of the parkway areas.

OP
OP
Contractor1900

Contractor1900

Jun 17, 2005
Barrington, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
How old is the neighborhood where these walks are? When they pull out the walks, look to see what type soil is underneath. It should be NATIVE looking. Ie.: whatever you would expect in lawns, etc.., whatever the color & feel of your native soil is, in that area. If it look like sand, or decomposed granite, then you might be in a 2nd generation walk, where it was already re-laid in the 1950s or 60s. In that case, the newer walks sometimes add fill-dirt before they lay. Unlike the older original walks where they didn't have a fill-dirt base (for compaction purposes, etc....). In the older days (pre 20s?) seemed they laid the cement right on the dirt with no fill-prep!

The nieghborhood was established about 120 years ago. With the cinders being used as fill, I would have to guess that it must be 2nd generation sidwalks. I find cinders all over the place in my yard, they must have used it as a fill material in low spots. I have found the cinders at the bottom of holes that I have dug for fence posts. I also find street pavers occasionally and broken blue china in my yard, but the fill is below 3 feet or more of black soil.

I'm hopefull that there will be some 1st generation sidewalks removed at some point during the reconstruction of my street.

Thanks for the info.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
they tore ours up 2 yrs ago, the street had brick under it and the old trolly rr ties, did poor on the street, hit the sidewalk good and hit a good foot to the sides as well

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
run the edges
i scored a few Indians just inches off the cinders in my "hood" :thumbsup:
see you Saturday :tongue3:

OP
OP
Contractor1900

Contractor1900

Jun 17, 2005
Barrington, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
homestake said:
I once had a contractor friend use his Bobcat to remove cinders from an torn up old sidewalk. Found several dozen silver coins from the late 1800's plus a 1885 V cent which is the rarest date for the Liberty nickle. If the cinders are not too thick it might be worth your while to use a flat shovel and throw them to the side. Good luck.

Funny that you should mention an 1885 V cent, that was the 2nd coin that I dug from my yard, I found it right next to the sidewalk. That's why I nearly jumped out of my seat when I got the notice from the city that they were replacing all of the sidewalks. I'll give moving a section of cinders aside this weekend, hopefully that will produce good results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions