Silver 2017

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cleaned and rolled all my clad coins found in 2017 and purchased the 3 silver coins shown in the photo, hoping that 2018 will be even better, so far started out with a cool relic find (see Todays Finds Post).

IMG_1033.JPG

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool idea, I just buy beer with mine

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I plan on doing that too on Monday... I got $92.98 this year, down from years past...
But the way I see it, us detectorists are contributing to the economy, by reintroducing lost money back into circulation, as well as using that money, that all we had to do was find, and invest it towards precious metals...
Genius really.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep a separate bank account in a different bank than I normally do business with. I call it my hobby account and have PayPal attached to it. I use my banked clad for upgrades, accessories, and other hobby related expenses. In 4 years in the hobby I have dug well over $1400 (face value coins). I just find it easier to have my cash readily available and not wrapped up in coins or metals. I only collect coins that I find or are given to me.

When I see a good machine for sale locally at an absurdly cheap price, I go check it out and if it has no issues I buy it with hobby account funds. Over the years I have bought and sold many machines and left meat on the bone for the buyer. This allows me to try other machines (makes and models) and gain enough working knowledge to be helpful to others in the hobby and I make a meager profit which also goes into my hobby account.

All of my machines have paid for themselves with the clad they help me find or their sale price. My wife and I have paid retail from a couple of the vendors here on Tnet, these were either birthday or Christmas presents otherwise I rather buy gently used and get a great deal from someone who thought they'd enjoy this hobby and just wants to liquidate their gear since they are not the MDing type. So many noobs think they are going to pull valuable treasure every time they dig a plug and after reality sets in they do not have what it takes to be successful in the hobby. I invest about 5 minutes a day looking for hobby related deals.

By the way I have not sold any of my finds. I have 5 gold rings and a gold pocket watch that I could sell for their gold value as well as my 5 gal. buckets of old lead, copper, and brass still accumulating. I had someone offer me about $800 for a coin I dug, but I feel the gold and coins look great in my collection and display area. Maybe someday I will liquidate them.

This is a great hobby that can pay for itself if you are not opposed to an occasional cladfest. I had 2 virgin honey holes that gave up well over $500 in clad. They were so target rich that many times I would not dig a target unless it rang in as a quarter or better. I can remember, back in 2014, that some of my best cladfests earned me about $8 an hour where as the norm for my area is only about $1.50 per hour.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool purchase. My clad gets cleaned , rolled, and deposited into a Seperate Hobby Account.
I have scrap Silver and Gold that is collecting dust while I wait for the prices to go up.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice idea, congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread